·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had to look at the calendar to genesis and confirm it's not April 1st.

I would really be interested in how it interacts and prevents a car from starting. Or is spreading fabric softener and perfume on your electronics a new thing?:Loco:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Says "The items release a silicone gas that coats some electronic components, causing a reduced flow of electricity and leading to malfunctions." Never heard of silicone off gassing being an issue with any fragrance compounds in perfumes, fabric softeners, dash spray or similar yes if it's not silicone free.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,062 Posts
Regrettably yes there is an array of silicone gasses used in industry commonly referred to as silanes.
Silane (SiH4), Dichlorosilane (SiCl2H2), Disilane (Si2H6) are just a few. I would assume that they end up coating electrical contact surfaces creating problems. Better living thru Chemistry...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Regrettably yes there is an array of silicone gasses used in industry commonly referred to as silanes.
Silane (SiH4), Dichlorosilane (SiCl2H2), Disilane (Si2H6) are just a few. I would assume that they end up coating electrical contact surfaces creating problems. Better living thru Chemistry...
Would those silanes be in perfumes and fabric softeners?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Ok, so what I want to know is why they are so susceptible to their switch contacts getting coated with these things and no one else is. I doubt Subaru is using anything vastly different than the rest of the industry.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,062 Posts
Well silanes are used in all kinds of products from rocket fuel to medical, dental and cosmetics. But the amount in perfumes would be so low that it wouldn't be a real problem. If Subaru would be honest, I would put my bet on the root cause coming from the silanes used as a plasticizer in the vinyls and plastics in the vehicle. The film that forms on the inside windshield in the hot sun is so hard to clean off because silanes have an affinity to bind to glass and metal.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so what I want to know is why they are so susceptible to their switch contacts getting coated with these things and no one else is. I doubt Subaru is using anything vastly different than the rest of the industry.
We don't know that they are the only ones - they are just the only ones admitting it. Honda isn't, but that does not mean it's not happening. Especially when considering many of the reported issues with Gen 5's currently.

The perfumes they are talking about may be the ones used in air fresheners, which you should all have the good sense not to be using anyway, as they are well known to exude carcinogens into the air you are breathing in a car, or at home.

Another thing I wonder is, if this is a problem, why isn't the same problem coming from the tar coating in a smoker's car? Or is it?

If all this is true, methinks I doth protest too little about the quality of the electronics themselves if they are that weakly made.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The auto industry has been conformal coating electronics for decades unless something changed recently and/or some are avoiding the process to reduce costs and speed up production. Plus Subaru owners tend to be more earthy and outdoorsy so perfumes probably aren't high on their need's list. Sounds like Subaru PR spin control went on a flyer.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Subaru used some unsealed switches, allowing the contacts to get contaminated.
Nothing exciting here...
Next...
I don't know, man. I was pretty excited there for a minute. But then I took a nap, and I'm okay now.:banana:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts