Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Honda CRV EX-L
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2018 CR-V was built in Ohio, the 2022 we
just got was built in Canada. Any differences factory to factory? Quality, etc.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,093 Posts
^

If its built to US spec/trim levels, then there shouldnt be any major differences.

As for build quality, well - thats subjective I guess :)

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,498 Posts
Generally speaking, all the factories (world wide) are tooled the same way and use the same production processes, equipment and lines. The only thing different might be the physical facility differing some, and of course the work force is different.

Individual factories may be a bit different in actual line setup as they are generally all of different ages and core design. But the actual vehicle assembly lines set up inside will be the same.

I think even the paint shops are all on the same exact tooling and process, even though they do vary in size and shape within a particular factory.

The Ontario factory is part of Honda of Canada Manufacturing, and has a pretty good reputation, from my observations, and at various times has built most Acura and Honda models at one time or another. There are actually two complete factories in Alliston.... and it is factory-2 (the newest factory, built in 1998) that currently builds CRVs. Factory-1 currently builds Civics. They used to build MDXs in Alliston, but those have been moved to Alabama facilities.

·
Registered
2021 CRV EX
1 Posts
Our 2018 CR-V was built in Ohio, the 2022 we
just got was built in Canada. Any differences factory to factory? Quality, etc.
I just bought a 2021 EX here in Indianapolis on 9/3/21 at Penske Honda only an hour and a half from a Greensburg, IN plant that builds CRVs and maybe 2.5 hours from the Ohio Honda plant that also builds CRVs, but mine came from the Aliiston plant in Canada also. With inventories so low, dealers must take them from the quickest delivery standpoint, not closest plant.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,498 Posts
I just bought a 2021 EX here in Indianapolis on 9/3/21 at Penske Honda only an hour and a half from a Greensburg, IN plant that builds CRVs and maybe 2.5 hours from the Ohio Honda plant that also builds CRVs, but mine came from the Aliiston plant in Canada also. With inventories so low, dealers must take them from the quickest delivery standpoint, not closest plant.
This has been true for years though, so it's simply Honda optimizing it's production runs on the lines, and then taking up the differences in delivery destinations as part of that fixed destination charge (which is the same regardless of factory and destination). And it would not surprise me if Honda actually deliberately mixes allocations to dealers from multiple factories.... simply so dealers never know the source factory and owners cannot try to troll the dealers for lower destination fees when a factory is in very close proximity to the buyer.

My 2017 Touring, came from the Alliston plant, shipped part way by ship, then by rail, and ultimately trucked to my dealer in northern California. And this was in 2017.

Basically, I think these days flat destination charges are set to simply cover all the shipping possibilities and costs incurred by a manufacturer, and then they simply ship from the factory building the correct model, trim, and color for an incoming dealer allocation. Note: dealers do not get to choose the source of their vehicles, nor the trim or color as that is all controlled and worked out by Honda in it's allocation process. This is a bit distorted right now as we can see that dealerships are taking orders on "yet to be built, but already allocated" (which is a shift by Honda).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts