Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Factory tint on 2021 Honda CR-V EX FWD

9K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Samuelx 
#1 ·
How is the transparency, UV protection, IR blocking of factory installed window tint on a 2021 Honda CRV EX FWD in San Diego, California?

#2 · (Edited)
It meets ANSI, federal and state standards for safety, transparency, clarity, and light transmission. The federal standard that covers tinting of window glass stipulates minimum requirements (and maximum tinting allowed) such that glass complies with all federal and state laws and regulations (all 50 states). Further, regulations stipulate a range of specific safety requirements.. right down to the specific polyurethane adhesives that are legal to use to install glass on motor vehicles.

Some states permit more tint to window glass than the federal umbrella standard. You have to check your local laws to determine if you have range beyond the factory installed glass to add tinting legally. Local after market tinting suppliers will know your state laws and stay within them, so consulting with them will get you the detailed answers specific for your locality if you are looking to add more tint. Note: I suggest against tinting of front glass as that is the most stringently regulated for safety (which includes visibility and clarity).

The ANSI labeling on each piece of glass on your vehicle will provide you information on the glass' safety and light transmisison characteristics.. which are stipulated under federal law. A quick quide to decoding your ANSI label (located on the lower corner of each piece of glass) is here. It is the AS# that most clearly stipulates the limit on tinting, as well as required safety (laminated, tempered, etc). Generally, it is the front facing glass (windshield) with the tightest requirements for glass safety and light transmission. Front glass will be specified as AS1 laminated glass with a minimum light transmisison of 70%. Side window glass is less restricted, though this too varies by state law in terms of light transmission (ie: tint limits).

Example ANSI label meeting federal standards on front facing glass:

#4 ·
Local after market tinting suppliers will know your state laws and stay within them,
LMAO at that...
The vast majority (I would guess around 98%) of vehicles with tinted windows that I see every day here in So Cal (which includes San Diego, where the OP is asking about and where I presume he/she is from) are illegally tinted. (No hate, my side fronts are tinted too). Point is that So Cal tint shops might or might not know the legalities (which is primarily CVC 26708 -
Law section - but for sure, they, on the whole, are Not staying within regulations (I'm guessing most likely at the customers' requests)...

#6 ·
Yeah, I am a cynic but that doesn't mean they're not out to get me (to mix in a different saying)…

To be clear, my problem is more with the decision makers controlling the state than any utility companies (which I also think are pretty lame - especially when it comes to things like causing wildfires and screwing over a number of my friends who have home solar systems).

I have to laugh almost every time you write "FACT:" and much of what follows. You'd be better off/more accurate writing "IMO" or "I believe/think" or "It is my understanding" or "I read somewhere" or "I heard that". Really LMAO at "So small under the table service providers are likely the culprit behind most illegal window tints (ie: unlicensed service techs operating illegally out of their private garage)…" and "almost all these illegal tinting jobs are being done just across the border in Mexico."

So you "grew up" in So Cal? When was the last time you spent any appreciable amount of time here (where you know how many B&M tint shops there are locally and where they are)? Fwiw, I've been here continuously since 1983.

IF, going to Mexico was even a "thing" at one point, the "FACT:" that you really think "most" vehicle owners are still going all the way down there for illegal modifications, especially simple window tinting, makes me LMAO. IMO, it would have been "better" if you had said something like "when I was growing up in Southern California back in the day, I knew some vehicle owners in Southern California who got their cars illegally tinted in Mexico".

Here's a FACT: for you - back in about 2011, I probably "knew" of about 2 dozen actual tint shops here in the So Cal, primarily LA, area that had installed illegal window tinting on vehicles. "knew" meaning that the registered owners of the cars told me where they got their tinting done, some even showed me receipts and/or gave me business cards.

But, I concede that you're an SME about everything and you're never wrong so...

#12 ·
When I lived in SoCal as a teenager, a friend and I went to Tijuana, MX to get his car reupholstered. It came out looking very nice and it was CHEAP. I have no idea what the actual material was that they used, or how long it lasted, it was my friend's car. I haven't seen him in, well, before the year (1983) mentioned above. LOL. It was a long time ago.

I don't even think we thought about tinting car windows in those days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.