Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 CRV EXL

Getting ready to install aftermarket unit with CarPlay. Can the factory USB input that's inside the console be used as the iPhone input for CarPlay, or us a separate Lightning cable required?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The question you're really asking is whether your aftermarket unit supports the factory USB connection. If you tell us the brand and model, someone may be able to find the information on the web for you.
Or you could check for yourself.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The question you're really asking is whether your aftermarket unit supports the factory USB connection. If you tell us the brand and model, someone may be able to find the information on the web for you.
Or you could check for yourself.
Don't have a specific unit picked out yet, but from your info I gather it can be used as long as the new unit supports the factory USB connection, so that's a feature I need to look for. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I would suggest starting your search at Crutchfield.com. Their prices are a bit high, but they have a 'what fits my car' option that will help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would suggest starting your search at Crutchfield.com. Their prices are a bit high, but they have a 'what fits my car' option that will help.
Yep, been there already. Shop for specific car and get several radio options but none of them specifically say the factory USB connection can be used for CarPlay with a lightning cable. Not a big deal if it work work as I can run a lightning cable down into the console if I have to.

Regardless of what I do, I will definitely update this thread once the install is done so folks will know going forward. I have a few picked out and will most likely place the order tomorrow.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, according to Crutchfield support chat, the OEM microphone and USB input will no longer be operational with the new Alpine iLX-W650 head unit. I purchased all the required and optional wiring kits needed for my car / head unit combo, and even paid the additional nominal fee to have them connect all the wiring kits together. However, I did note that nowhere on Crutchfield's site did it mention anything about the OEM items not working even with all the additional wiring kits. No worries if it doesn't, but here's hoping that they do work after install. Hope to do it this weekend......if.......IF.....the temps come down out of the high 90's. :)

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX
66 Posts
2013 CRV EXL

Getting ready to install aftermarket unit with CarPlay. Can the factory USB input that's inside the console be used as the iPhone input for CarPlay, or us a separate Lightning cable required?
This should be applicable to your crv2013 as well:
i upgraded my civic2013 radio and got all the required adapters and swc controllers for the upgrade.
My handsfree/Voice/Siri and Audioremote/volume/track steering wheels worked with the aftermarket radio.
What i was not able to restore was the built-in mic at located at the cabin light area and the built in USB connector at the center console.

The only way for you to have these built in mic and usb port to work is to make a retrofit wired connection to these devices. You need to download a copy of your audio schematic from honda techinfo ($10/day) . See sample of my 2013 civic below.

For now I'm ok using the built in radio mic and usb sockets

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This should be applicable to your crv2013 as well:
i upgraded my civic2013 radio and got all the required adapters and swc controllers for the upgrade.
My handsfree/Voice/Siri and Audioremote/volume/track steering wheels worked with the aftermarket radio.
What i was not able to restore was the built-in mic at located at the cabin light area and the built in USB connector at the center console.

The only way for you to have these built in mic and usb port to work is to make a retrofit wired connection to these devices. You need to download a copy of your audio schematic from honda techinfo ($10/day) . See sample of my 2013 civic below.

For now I'm ok using the built in radio mic and usb sockets

Thanks. I figured if it worked at all I'd probably have to fashion some form of connector.

I went ahead and removed the center console last night to run the supplied USB extension for Carplay and also the USB power cable for my dash cam.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts