Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this might sound wierd, but when i stop my V, and get out, the driver side (RHD) rear quarter smells like burning rubber, trying not to appear kinky, i sniffed the tyre (and its a match), so does anybody have any theories on what the heck is going on? the wheel isnt binding, it appears to move freely when rotated? i've never had this before, of and its a bridgestone dueller? on the rim.
thanks beany

·
Registered
164 Posts
this might sound wierd, but when i stop my V, and get out, the driver side (RHD) rear quarter smells like burning rubber, trying not to appear kinky, i sniffed the tyre (and its a match), so does anybody have any theories on what the heck is going on? the wheel isnt binding, it appears to move freely when rotated? i've never had this before, of and its a bridgestone dueller? on the rim.
thanks beany
Don't worry, mine does the same and has done from new. Dealer originally told me it was excess underseal on the exhaust. They cleaned it to no avail.

Only happens when it's wet.

Not sure what it is but i suspect the heat from the exhaust is the root cause.

50,000 miles and six years later and it hasn't burst into flames yet ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
burning rubber...

Hi beany.

That's an interesting comment you made. I started to notice exactly the same smell from exactly the same place (as near as I can tell from around the rear offside/drivers side wheel) last month. Had the car since April 09 and it's done roughly 47,000 miles. Don't notice it all the time. I'll have to take note if it occurs more often when it's wet.
Initial investigations have not shown specific cause for the smell as yet. Mainly because I have only noticed it when it happens to be dark and so crawling around looking at the underneath/inside rear wheel with a torch isn't revealing much other than a bit of steam/fumes?? in the torchlight. Will investigate further as and when so if I find anything will post it on here.

Just found this forum and it's my first posting. Hoping to glean some good info from people who know the CR-V as I'm hopefully about to undertake a full 75.000 mile service on this one courtesy of the new Haynes manual!

Cheers,

Ian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, our CRV does this too.

I think it's the rubber exhaust hanger sometimes touching the backbox.

Our car was hit when parked last winter, when someone lost control on snow and hit the right hand side rear quarter/wheel - I thought maybe the repair shop put a new exhaust hanger on for some reason and used the wrong size?

The damage wasn't bad and I was putting this occassional burning smell of rubber down to that accident but if lot of other people have it too I guess it's just a quirk.....I hope it is anyway ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.