Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals, well I need a place to vent a little so here goes...

First off let me start by saying I don't want everyone to think of me as a spoiled brat, I am not. I am very grateful for my family and possessions.

OK, now onto the story. I'm 15 years old, I will be 16 on December 18th. I am done with the drivers ed crap and now I just am waiting to turn 16 to get my license. When I turn 16 I was supposed to get my grandpa's 2005 Honda CR-V EX 5 Speed with 30,000. When I found this out I was super excited. After-all I was planning on saving as much money as I could and buying a car with the help of my parents, probably sometime around my 17th birthday. I really didn't care what I got, as long as it was a manual, and ran and drove. haha. But other then that I just wanted something to drive. So you can imagine I was very excited to hear that my grandpa was giving me his CR-V. Well over thanksgiving we are staying at my aunt and uncle's house in Chicago. My uncle has a 2001 CR-V Automatic with 130,000 miles.

My Aunt and Uncle asked me if I was gonna get a car when I turned 16 and I told them that I was very lucky that my grandpa was giving me his CR-V.

When my aunt heard this though she freaked. She immediately turned to my grandpa and asked him why I should get the car and not my uncle. About how his car has so many more miles on it and that the car would be better off in the hands of my uncle then her 16 year old nephew. She suggested to my grandpa that he give my uncle the 2005 and that my uncle then gives me his 2001. I felt like screaming, after how excited I was that I would be getting something so nice as my grandpas CR-V and now she didn't think I was good enough for the car.

Now again, I want to stress that I am not a spoiled brat, I was just so happy to hear that I was getting the 2005.

My uncle however turned to me and said that he didn't want to do that to me, that he knew how excited I was that I was getting my grandpa's and that after being promised I was getting his I shouldn't be slammed with thinking I wasn't good enough for it. He said that he wasn't gonna do that and that I could have the 2005. My aunt wouldn't have that though, she said I was 16 and I was gonna be happy with anything I get. Which she is mostly right, I am gonna be happy with whatever I get but I was just so excited to get something as nice as the 2005. My uncle again stressed that he wasn't gonna take my car and that he was fine with what he has unless I really didn't mind that he got the 2005.

So later that night when my grandpa was leaving he told my aunt that they would talk later about the car situation.

That was on Friday November 27 2009. Today is Saturday November 28 2009 and we went out to dinner with my 2 grandmas and my uncle. We dropped off my grandmas at the front door and my uncle and I went to park the car. As we were walking into to the door I brought it up with him, I told him that I did kind of mind because I really liked the 2005, expecially the fact that it had a manual transmission, but that I knew he needed it more then I did and that if he really wanted it that he could have it. He told me not to worry, that he would talk to my aunt and explain to her that he is happy with what he has now and he doesn't want to take my car. After he said that I feel a lot better, I just hope he can convince my aunt and grandpa.

Well, thanks for reading, and reply letting me know what you think of my situation.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Well hopefully your Grandpa will come through for you. But to keep peace in the family he may have to give in to your Aunt. I know this may be hard for you now, but if it doesn't work out with the 2005 and you get the 2001, you accept it with the biggest smile you can give. Let your Aunt see that your the gracious young man that I believe you are. Your Aunt has already reared herself and has acted like the spolied brat. Show her, and most of all, show your Grandfather that your the better person.

It's just a car, and as you go though life, you will have lots of cars come and go. Enjoy the times you have with your Grandpa now and you will see later in life he has given you more than just a car. Both my grandpas are gone now and would give up all my cars just to have them back again.

Now just my opinion, I would rather have the 2001 any day over the 2005. I love my 2001, she's a bute!!!:D

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Insist your familly give you a Corvette or else.:mad:

Everyone's had to experience that... be grateful mate, either car is a good deal. Definitly better than any car any of us got when we were 16. 130,000 miles is nothing for a Honda. But I will say, the Gen2 is the best one.:cool:

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
i feel your pain, my grandparents had a 2001 nissan frontier 4wd 5speed king cab, 6 banger. it was a nice truck. well before it was mind i drove it around a little with my grandfather ( only ahd permit then) and when they were out of town i drove it alone all the time. since we got the truck when i was 10 they promised it would be mine once i got my license. well two days or so before i got my license i went to the water park with a friend only to come back to a cr-v sitting in the drive way, and the nissan sitting in my neighbors drive way :eek: low and behold they had sold the truck and went out and bought as first gen cr-v. i hated it at first, refused to drive it, then i swallowed my pride and drove the crap out of the cr-v and fell in love with it. 3 years and 100,000 miles later i finally got the truck of my dreams, so moral of the story be patient, take what is given to you, and please dont throw a fit because you are getting an older car look at it this way, ITS FREE EFFIN' CAR!. end of story

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your aunt showed her spoiled side by stating that your uncle should get the 2005. Just be the bigger person and take the 01 with a smile...it will pay off in the long run. :)

Whatever happens, enjoy your new to you CR-V :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Well thanks everyone. I know that I will be happy with anything I get. As I said in the original post I was gonna be happy with just about anything. My only critaria in a car was that it had a manual transmission. But, even if the car I get is an automatic I am still gonna be really happy to have something to drive. I know I am very lucky to be getting a car at all, especially a 2001 or newer. What was making me so mad though, is that my aunt didn't think I was good enough for the 2005. How because I was 16 I had to have a beater car. Most 16 year olds don't get nice cars, I understand that. But, I am a very carful driver and I will take good care of what ever I get.

To back up the good driver statement, as I finished drivers ed and the teacher gave me the certificate of completion the teacher shook my hand and I quote, "Derrick, you are one of the best drivers that I have had in a long time. You are very alert and cautious, and I definitely trust you out on the road. You know exactly how to react if your car looses control (counter-steering, when to gas and brake, etc.) and you are always very awear of your surroundings."

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Actually, statistically, 16 year olds destroy cars like they're free, no offense mate. Did you know I went through 3 cars before I turned 18? none of them got crashed, they just all broke down... I remember in High school, EVERYONE had a brand new car, because their parents loved them I guess. The funny thing is, we had a street in a field in the outskirts of town with long empty winding roads, and that's where you'd drive if you wanted to have fun. A lot of people ran their new Toyotas and Hondas and Bimmers off that road and into poles, and guess what? Their parents bought them a new one a week later...:mad: I drove my beater to school and liked it.:cool: I treated my beater cars like they were Ferrari's, because that's all I had, and I never wrapped any of them around a pole. It just shows that some people think they should get handed things because they "deserve it" (like your aunt), but you also got to understand, once family drama is started, it never ends, so be careful.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Everyone's had to experience that... be grateful mate, either car is a good deal. Definitly better than any car any of us got when we were 16. 130,000 miles is nothing for a Honda.
I know that's right. I too had 3 vehicles before I was 18. Granted, I still have my first car (1968 mustang).

Now this isn't what I wanted to be my first car. I was then and still now scared to drive that car all out because of how much it means to me.

After that I drove the Frontier, which I wanted as my first vehicle. I drove it for a year and a half and kinda wish I still had it.

But now I am in a 2000 CR-V with 212XXX miles. I will drive it until it dies or I graduate grad school (about 5-7 years from now as I will have to work while going to grad school). Then I will go out and get me what I want, or as close as I can afford to what I want. (probably another frontier)

·
Registered
367 Posts
I HAVE A STORY JUST LIKE THIS!!

Ok here it goes... when i was 15 i was saving up to buy my first car. I did everything around the house to get on my parents good side to help me out and stuff. So when i got my license my dad and i went around looking for good cars with fair prices. Well when it came down to it we bought a 2000 Ford Exploder with 116,000 miles on it for 4k off my dads trusty mechanic. BIG MISTAKE. The check engine was on a month after i got it with a lean code. I tried to diagnose it and i never could find out why. I looked for vacuum leaks, intake gaskets, but a year later i found out it was the head gasket and i realized i bought it like that :mad:

So we went around to look for another car for me since the Exploder was toast. We checked out the local used car dealers and everything telling them we wanted a japanese car. My family has always had nissans so anything that was japanese would do us fine. I wanted a pathfinder or Xterra for its offroad capabilities. One afternoon my dad said he got a call from a dealer we checked out, they said they had a 98 CRV. My dad said, "great its going to have a ****load of miles". We checked it out for the hell of it and it had 46,000 miles on it. Honestly i hated the CrV, i didnt like the looks ( i thought it was femine). We drove it, i liked the way it drove but i wanted something i could offroad because that is what i was into. My dad said we are getting this. I was like ok, thinking i could save up some extra and trade it in later on.

Now i love this thing! Its zippy and none of my friends liked it at first either but they all like the V. You will naturally love the first car you get. Any CRV will treat you right. The 2005 is a great deal your gpa is hooking you up with

·
Registered
103 Posts
Derrick,
You sound like you have a pretty good head on your shoulders and are rather mature for your age, which is far more valuable than what v you get. That being said, your dissatisfaction is completely understandable. But either way your getting a free car. Please don't be disappointed with your grandfather if it doesn't work out the way you've expected. Your aunt has put him in a very difficult spot, maybe she and your uncle are going through some tough times. You'll own many cars during your life but will only have that one grandfather. This could be a good time to earn everyone's respect by your actions. Just remember, strong integrity and character is how you act when no one is looking. I think you'll do the right thing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All Better!

Derrick,
You sound like you have a pretty good head on your shoulders and are rather mature for your age, which is far more valuable than what v you get. That being said, your dissatisfaction is completely understandable. But either way your getting a free car. Please don't be disappointed with your grandfather if it doesn't work out the way you've expected. Your aunt has put him in a very difficult spot, maybe she and your uncle are going through some tough times. You'll own many cars during your life but will only have that one grandfather. This could be a good time to earn everyone's respect by your actions. Just remember, strong integrity and character is how you act when no one is looking. I think you'll do the right thing.
Thanks a lot! I do think of myself as having a good head. haha. I struggle a little in school, but I try my hardest and that's what madders right? I have a lot of common sense and I usually act very responsible. But, just like every other 16 year old, I do try stupid things, nothing huge like drugs or alcohol but just messing around. It means a lot to me that you said that.

Now, as far as the CR-V goes, I talked to my grandpa and he told me that he wasn't going to give my uncle his CR-V because if my uncle really wanted it why not just trade his in for one like my grandpas? I said that was a good point, and my grandpa said that he didn't want me having a car with 130,000 miles. Like I said above, I was going to be happy with anything, I am just super glad that I am getting the 2005. Everyone is cool now, and there are no hard feelings. Thanks for the kind words everyone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts