Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The headline says it all :)

I have a 1998 Cr-v 293000km (183000miles)

here in January i switched my cylinderhead and added new piston and oilrings. i purchased another cylinderhead and gave it an overhaul, grinding, new seals and everything ready to plug and play.
Did the job 14 days ago after driving with a burned valve for 15000 km 1 year and an increasing oilconsumption (the last two month 1 litre every 100 km)

Fantastic engine, i measured each cylinderbore and the wear was so little, each bore measured between 84,02- 84,025mm (limit 84,07mm) and tapered only 0,01mm (limit 0,05mm) the roundness of each bore came out with a measurement 0,000- 0,003mm (limit 0,02mm) i measured every cylinder bore in 6 circles to be sure
We didnt pull out the crankshaft,we just took the pistons out with the connection rods, the pistons looked like new after a good cleaning, the same goes for the rod bearings. they had no signs of wear at all ??

I had a good friend helping me, he is a mechanic, together we finished the job in one day . Now i have a smooth running engine using no oil, and with the wear in the bores it can run another 1800000 km before reaching 84,07 mm :cool:

If you have any doubts about the measurement in the engine....DONT! I am a toolmaker with 32 years of experince and acces to measurement gauges and methods you can only dream about, but feel free to ask all the questions you might have :)

The Honda factory measurement cylinderbore is 84,005-84,015mm and the tolerances of wear i describe comes from my haynes manual

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Congrats. I'm hoping my K24 engine is even better!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!
I use semi synthetic oil 10W-40 Shell helix HX-6. Here in denmark we have temperatures between -20 and +30 Celcius winter/summer. This winter the lowst temp until now was -7 Celcius and only snow one week.

I can give you a warning about oil change. I change every 6000 km then the car works properly, allways did that. My problems came from the pre-owner. Driving with extended oil change the pistons where blocked in all the small lubricant holes. you find the holes behind the oil ring, thats a problem driving around with old and worn oil, i simply drilled the holes with a drill (diameter 1,5mm) the holes in the pistons are 2mm and you can keep them clean and functionel with a proper oil change using a good oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts