Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have an issue here. Truck threw a catalytic converter code so we replaced the catalytic converter it threw the 0341 code. Have read MANY threads about this and everyone of them ends with someone saying to replace timing chain due to stretch and jump.

I removed the valve cover and set cylinder #1 to TDC on compression stroke. Timing marks on both cam gears line up with each other so it is not a chain issue. I also pulled the inspection cover for the tensioner just in case and measured from the small hole to the center of the larger hole on what looks like a link, and got 8mm exactly (cant measure the barrel of the tensioner due to the orientation of the tensioner)

Now the issues I am having and have had are as follows:

Started off after changing the catalytic converter, it was low on power. Constantly having to kick it down to keep speed. One day on our way home the exhaust manifold donut gasket blew out (attributed it to being cheap and replaced with fel pro) still low on power but driving fine otherwise. Coming home from work one night, it all the sudden sounded like it had blown out a couple cylinders. and lost all power. Limped it home and on the way it straightened out. Parked it at that point and being a single car family we broke down and went and bought a new car.

This is where I started opening it up to see what the deal is. Im stumped as I hold a degree in automotive tech and have done everything I can think of and what the honda service tech manual calls for and cannot figure it out. looking for any similar experiences and what the fix was.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,072 Posts
You either have a stretched timing chain, a bad sensor, or faulty connections to either crankshaft or camshaft sensors. How many miles on the engine?

What was the results of the checks in the Honda manual?

Remember the check for this code occurs during initial start, when the engine is 'cold' and therefore smaller. It is conceivable that the ECU sets the code but once it warms up, it is more optimal.

I'd be thinking of replacing the timing chain just as Good Practice.

·
Registered
600 Posts
At what RPM does it feel like it's losing power? And is this an automatic or a manual?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,072 Posts
Re-reading post one, does it seem possible that the new Cat is TOO RESTRICTIVE? Besides the code, it's not likely to blow out the gasket donut unless the exhaust gasses can't get through.

What Cat did you install?

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
So how did this turn out? I’m in the middle of this same code problem myself. It’s my understanding this certainly could be the timing chain and tensioner. From what I’ve read the tensioner goes bad leaving slop in the chain. If it did go or slip enough I would think it could cause you to lose a couple of valves/cylinders. Not sure what the clearance is and if you could ding a valve and not lose the whole engine.
I was told by the dealer and independent Honda mechanic that pulling the engine is the only way to replace it.
Did you get to the solution?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just finished this repair. The troubleshooting guide from Honda on P0431 starts with pulling the valve cover and checking timing marks on the cams and harmonic balancer. It’s about a 20 minute job to check this. My cam marks were about two teeth out of phase and the chain was definitely “stretched”...which means worn.

Our 2003 CRV has about 100K miles, and has had regular synthetic oil changes since new. Power has been slowly deteriorating with a loss of low end torque, and no VTEC as the P0431 code disabled it. Likely many drivers don’t notice it as the problem slowly gets worse as the chain wears. I changed the water pump and adjusted valves as well as that jobs are much easier with everything opened up. It took about 8-10 hours including wrestling with a very stubborn harmonic balancer bolt. It’s on there with 180ft/lbs of torque and in my case was rusted on there too.

With the job done, the code cleared itself, and the engine feels like it gained about 30hp back to stock levels. I only replaced the chain, tensioner and two rubber seals, about $300 CAD of OEM parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just finished this repair. The troubleshooting guide from Honda on P0431 starts with pulling the valve cover and checking timing marks on the cams and harmonic balancer. It’s about a 20 minute job to check this. My cam marks were about two teeth out of phase and the chain was definitely “stretched”...which means worn.

Our 2003 CRV has about 100K miles, and has had regular synthetic oil changes since new. Power has been slowly deteriorating with a loss of low end torque, and no VTEC as the P0431 code disabled it. Likely many drivers don’t notice it as the problem slowly gets worse as the chain wears. I changed the water pump and adjusted valves as well as that jobs are much easier with everything opened up. It took about 8-10 hours including wrestling with a very stubborn harmonic balancer bolt. It’s on there with 180ft/lbs of torque and in my case was rusted on there too.

With the job done, the code cleared itself, and the engine feels like it gained about 30hp back to stock levels. I only replaced the chain, tensioner and two rubber seals, about $300 CAD of OEM parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Denwood....would you recommend Honda Dealer if I am going to need this , or separate shop? I'm not doing this myself...I'm sure this is going to be my situation judging by my 'combination of lamps' and driving symptoms, i'm sure i'm going to show a P0431 once the diagnostic is run.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts