Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum,

I sold my DD and am in need of a dependable DD with room for baby on the way. I found this 2009 CR-V EX-L with just 35k miles for just $12.6 at AutoNation. I entered the VIN JHLRE38719C003600 and Honda shows the car hasn't been fixed for Takata airbag issue yet. Should I just jump on this deal? It's too good to pass up. I'm not sure how lengthy the whole process will take. What do you guys think? Please let me know ASAP. Thanks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If a nearby dealer has the parts, it's a couple of hours max. We had two replaced in our '07 before we replaced it with our '18. By now, any wait for parts should not be more than a week or two. I wouldn't let this be a factor.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Our Honda dealer actually had the inflators in stock for my '09. I think it took them about an hour to do the passenger's side (as that was part of the expanded recall--the driver's side had already been done before I purchased it). With our older Civic (2004), it took maybe two weeks for the inflator to arrive, and that was a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I jumped on the deal. Took 3 hours to complete the paperworks even though we already got the preapproval from credit union.
Car was extremely clean except the scratches on front bumper and mirror. They agree to touch up next week for free.

About the airbag recall, they have in house technician fixed it before we arrived.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase. Car steers to the right I didn't notice during the test drive. But I'm sure they will do the alignment for free since AutoNation have 5 days return policy. Vehicle Car City car Subcompact car Hyundai Vehicle Car City car Subcompact car Hyundai

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Looks great and clean too. You should get many years of problem free driving from it.
Those cars are bulletproof.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.
I just noticed the car averages 15.5 mpg so far since fill up but only been 25 miles. I revved it hard twice during the 3 mile test drive but been extremely gentle since. I'll refill up and reset it again to calculate it manually.
My wife's 2013 Civic EX-L only gets 21mpg so im kinda iffy. Both cars are EX-L with heated seats. Sure it's heavier than lower tier trims but mpg is way less than advertised and we dont have lead foot.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,988 Posts
Thanks guys.
I just noticed the car averages 15.5 mpg so far since fill up but only been 25 miles. I revved it hard twice during the 3 mile test drive but been extremely gentle since. I'll refill up and reset it again to calculate it manually.
My wife's 2013 Civic EX-L only gets 21mpg so im kinda iffy. Both cars are EX-L with heated seats. Sure it's heavier than lower tier trims but mpg is way less than advertised and we dont have lead foot.
The fuel economy is going to depend on how it’s driven. More highway means better fuel economy and more city means worse fuel economy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I reset the trip and been getting 18 mpg, driving below 3,000 rpm. I'm disappointed in the mileage but I'll go ahead and keep this car since I have a fairly short commute to work. The condition and price of the vehicle outweighs the mpg. Overall I think this was a very good buy.

The fuel economy is going to depend on how it’s driven. More highway means better fuel economy and more city means worse fuel economy.
That is extremely insightful, thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, I have a 2013 EX and after putting 25K on it since purchase, I've averaged 18mpg, mostly city driving. I wouldn't expect much more beyond that for city driving.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
City driving back at home, I only get 21-22 MPG. The display on the dashboard I have found can be off by 0.5 MPG in either direction, but it is a good ballpark number. Best way is to check the mileage at each fill-up.

I'm on a road trip at the moment, and have had mileage as bad as 21.7 MPG and Tuesday's high was 27.5 MPG. Mileage I have noticed is very dependent on what kind of gas is used. In Colorado, the lowest octane is 85, and I happened to put some of that in. Big mistake--terrible mileage, and it lost a noticeable amount of power. With about 40% of it used, I bit the bullet and put in some 91 octane before heading into the mountains (which is a lot of climbing as I go over a few mountain passes on I-70). By the time I got to Grand Junction on Tuesday, that tankful had gotten me 27.5 MPG. The worst tankful was 87 octane from a Kum 'n' Go station in Iowa. They are really pushing that awful E15 stuff out here due to it being "cleaner," but I don't dare put that in.

The Kum & Go gas gave me the worst mileage, and I was only traveling maybe 75 MPH on average through Iowa. When I gassed up in Nebraska, I was pretty much traveling anywhere from 80-90 MPH and I think I had gotten around 23+ MPG through that stretch. Even the 27.5 MPG tankful wasn't being babied as, once we got out of the more strenuous stretches of Colorado (more on the western slope), I probably averaged 75-80 to keep up with traffic all the way to Fruita. The weather has been ideal--I've traveled most of the way with the sunroof open and one rear window slightly cracked. I've only used the AC twice.

Last year, the tankful I got from Cenex was also in the 21 MPG range; Sinclair's immediately after that gave me in the 26 MPG range. Both stretches were on pretty much the same type of Interstate (some hills, same average 75-80 speeds).

Shows you how wild the variations are in the fuels.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just comparing prices to UK.

We dont get an EX-L but I got told my Ex is same. Leathers etc (anyone tell me if they know more on this matter)

Around here with a 12 month warranty from dealer, 2009 with 35k would sell for around £9,000 - £10,000

1 - 13 of 13 Posts