Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 CR-V, 183,00 miles. It has both a CD and cassette player. Being old school, I still use both very regularly. But at some point I'm going to want a newer model with less mileage.

I'm trying to find out what the last year was in which Honda installed a CD player as a feature. I can sacrifice the cassette player, but I have too many CD's to abandon. I know all about Spotify, Bluetooth, etc.

Thanks!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,271 Posts
In North America, I think the CD player was eliminated with the Generation5 (2017). Might vary due to trim level and head unit fitted.

You know, I've never used the cassette player in our '06!!! o_O :rolleyes:

Reactions: actfray

·
Registered
2020 Sonic Grey Pearl CRV EX-L Hybrid
40 Posts
I used my 2014's CD-player for the first time a couple of months ago to show my kid what it is.
Two years ago when I bought my previous car (2018 Civic Si), I transferred over my stuff from the car it was replacing and I went to pop in my favorite CD at the time and my heart sank when I realized I no longer had a CD player. They just sound better than streaming. I was pretty disappointed but realized my last CD player was more than likely my last CD player.

·
Registered
940 Posts
They just sound better than streaming.
That depends a bit, of course. Spotify Premium streaming runs at almost lossless rate (320 kbps), which you can't objectively distinguish from CD quality in the car environment but I know what you mean.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That depends a bit, of course. Spotify Premium streaming runs at almost lossless rate (320 kbps), which you can't objectively distinguish from CD quality in the car environment but I know what you mean.
You can definitely tell a difference when using Spotify in a lot of music. Older stuff sounds horrible because the original source was probably trash to begin with. Most older music I stream sounds awful compared to a CD. It's not a big enough thing for me to install a CD player but it would be nice.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,097 Posts
I have a 2005 CR-V, 183,00 miles. It has both a CD and cassette player. Being old school, I still use both very regularly. But at some point I'm going to want a newer model with less mileage.

I'm trying to find out what the last year was in which Honda installed a CD player as a feature. I can sacrifice the cassette player, but I have too many CD's to abandon. I know all about Spotify, Bluetooth, etc.

Thanks!
welcome to my shock when I purchased my 2018 crv. I thought it at least would have an audio plug, but Honda removed that too.
I had an Accord 2001 - same as someone else, Cassette and cd player.
I even bought an IPOD before Apple quit making them - not happy with how it displays in the CRV so have not taken all the time to load the massive amount of CDs I have... I use to grab what I wanted to listen to just prior to heading out the door.

folks who disagree with us, please don't be rude and put us down.

Reactions: Hybridnewbie

·
Registered
241 Posts
My 2016 still has it, but you have to push a button and the touchscreen flips up and exposes the CD player.

·
Registered
40 Posts
welcome to my shock when I purchased my 2018 crv. I thought it at least would have an audio plug, but Honda removed that too.
I had an Accord 2001 - same as someone else, Cassette and cd player.
I even bought an IPOD before Apple quit making them - not happy with how it displays in the CRV so have not taken all the time to load the massive amount of CDs I have... I use to grab what I wanted to listen to just prior to heading out the door.

folks who disagree with us, please don't be rude and put us down.
OH man, I forgot all about the missing aux port. What a shame.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,097 Posts
Reactions: Carbuff2

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,318 Posts
I bypassed all that by having a phone with a 200gb micro-SD card in it. My music is on there, and can connect to any car audio system through AUX or USB or wireless, depending on the system. It's only 256k (iTunes) but even young healthy human ears cannot distinguish the difference above 192k anyway, and my ears are not young. THe app I use is DoubleTwist. It's one way to go. Still, soon enough I am doing an audio upgrade and will re-rip, probably to FLAC. Oh, that'll be fun. I have over 2,500 CDs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
my 2016 lx had a cd player and I'm now in a 2020 without . I dont listen to music as much as I used to otherwise I suspect I'd be more hip to the technology . I'm stuck in small-city canada with only 3 fm stations for my morning/afternoon commute and I just use my thumb on the steering wheel arrow to change station when one or the other gets annoying hah.

Reactions: lmaxim

·
Registered
241 Posts
I bypassed all that by having a phone with a 200gb micro-SD card in it. My music is on there, and can connect to any car audio system through AUX or USB or wireless, depending on the system. It's only 256k (iTunes) but even young healthy human ears cannot distinguish the difference above 192k anyway, and my ears are not young. The app I use is DoubleTwist. It's one way to go. Still, soon enough I am doing an audio upgrade and will re-rip, probably to FLAC. Oh, that'll be fun. I have over 2,500 CDs.
This is true. I am an audio technician and dabbled with a little bit of recording. Most high quality digital files nowadays are CD quality. My trained ear can hear the differences between 256 and 192 on cymbal crashes, but a lot of people cannot. Lossless is the way to go, however.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,318 Posts
Yup. Been meaning to get it done for a while, so I have a digital backup just in case, but it will be a job. But I have rare irreplaceable stuff I cannot lose, so I gotta get it done and then store copies in safe places. Definitely a winter job.

·
Registered
27 Posts
my 2016 lx had a cd player and I'm now in a 2020 without . I dont listen to music as much as I used to otherwise I suspect I'd be more hip to the technology . I'm stuck in small-city canada with only 3 fm stations for my morning/afternoon commute and I just use my thumb on the steering wheel arrow to change station when one or the other gets annoying hah.
I wish I was that lucky. I live in Houston and all 6 of my preset stations seem to coordinate their commercial breaks ALL AT THE SAME EXACT TIME. I have a 25 minute commute and it drives me mad, I’ve got the tape and CD combo and I also own a big collection of CDs that I erroneously grab on the way out the door. I’ve had Sirius XM for years, but haven’t bothered yet putting it into my new to me CRV. I also haven’t called Sirius to try to swap my account on a simple head unit to my Honda in dash u it. I just need to find more time to do these things

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can definitely tell a difference when using Spotify in a lot of music. Older stuff sounds horrible because the original source was probably trash to begin with. Most older music I stream sounds awful compared to a CD. It's not a big enough thing for me to install a CD player but it would be nice.
I was going to mention the same thing. I have Spotify premium, and older stuff does sound pretty bad compared to newer stuff. For older stuff, I have to increase the volume and the bass. Ripping the CDs and converting to FLAC or another high quality format would probably be the best solution.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX Obsidian Blue
22 Posts
I was also disappointed on my move from 2009 Fit to 2020 CR-V EX Hybrid that there was no CD slot. I'm still making my way through the manual (you can imagine the tech difference from my baby Fit) but are you saying there is no place to plug in my old iPod? Can I not use that second USB port in front? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,226 Posts
I just read an article in Motor Trend about a 2021 Lexus LC 500 Convertable....it as a CD slot! It's $102,000!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts