Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Iowa, the actual temperature was -10F one evening. Snow and ice kept us from driving more than 25 MPH for 25 minutes. The coolant temperature monitor would climb just above bottom when driving 25 and at traffic lights would disappear again below bottom. The air temperature was just barely warm and then cooler again. These tiny engines running slow speeds just don't create much heat. This rarely ever happens. What will electric vehicles be like?

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,232 Posts
In Iowa, the actual temperature was -10F one evening. Snow and ice kept us from driving more than 25 MPH for 25 minutes. The coolant temperature monitor would climb just above bottom when driving 25 and at traffic lights would disappear again below bottom. The air temperature was just barely warm and then cooler again. These tiny engines running slow speeds just don't create much heat. This rarely ever happens. What will electric vehicles be like?
They have electric heaters, which will reduce the range significantly.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
875 Posts
They have electric heaters, which will reduce the range significantly.
Some battery electrics are now using heat pumps. More efficient but you still use energy to run them, which costs range, at temps where the battery can least afford the loss.
On the Hybrid CR-V I have found using Sport mode will warm up the ICE faster, and keep it warm, due to higher RPM.
But the last few days it seems to be struggling to keep the coolant temp much over 150F, enough for what I would call "Warmth", but not necessarily "Heat". :)
Love the seat heaters though.

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX Obsidian Blue
165 Posts
Has anyone tried blocking the grill like trucks do? Back in the day everyone had a piece of cardboard wedged in front of the radiator but I never see that anymore. I feel like this isn't that new of a problem, maybe people just forgot what to do.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
875 Posts
Has anyone tried blocking the grill like trucks do? Back in the day everyone had a piece of cardboard wedged in front of the radiator but I never see that anymore. I feel like this isn't that new of a problem, maybe people just forgot what to do.
This is the 21st Century. We don't use cardboard anymore. We use computer-controlled shutters that control the amount of air through the radiator.
It may not work any better, but it does cost more. :)
I once had a 1960 Volvo PV-544. It had a ring you could pull to roll up a cover over the radiator. Saved going out and positioning cardboard.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring Modern Steel
42 Posts
I looked up thermostats for CR-V 1.5 and they listed them at 170 degrees F, I then looked up for a 2018 Rav4 and it was listed at 180 degrees F. Back in my Chevy days I believe they were listed at 195 degrees F. Perhaps a higher temperature thermostat if available would help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts