Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone living in the San Francisco Bay Area knows that car break in's (smash & grabs) are at an epic high. These days, theives hit up multiple cars in a row at one time, targeting hatchbacks and SUV's, specificlly the rear quarter panel window, specifically to reach in, pull the seat release lever, in order to access the trunk and make a quick grab. This allows them to get what they want without opening any doors and triggering the alarm. With a sedan, hey wouldn't be able to do this. Well, finally I had my turn:

sm_IMG_9098.jpg

For you fellowing Bay Area folks, this happened in a restaurant parking lot on Webster Street in Alameda. My car and a Prius next to me were hit. I found that over in the Tesla forums, the Model 3's were gettting hit real hard too, with someone suggesting and having already done, putting paint protection film on their window (just the rear quarter one that was being targeted). I'm not as concerned about valuables being stolen because I can always just remove all valuables from the car, its the busted window that is a major pain. They were suggesting that putting such a film on the window might slow down the thief enough to move on to the next car.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wow that's ballsy breaking a window not even knowing if there is anything worthwhile to steal. I work for a company that has retail stores and we started using the 3M glass film on the windows after a couple of smash and gos. After install I watched videotape of would be robbers trying to throw a concrete curb through one of the new protected windows and the curb bounced off multiple times. They eventually gave up and left before the police arrived The window needed replacement but the store contents were secure.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea...I'll look into that glass film, though not sure if it can be used on automotive glass. Yeah, the smash and grabs around the area are no longer guided by rules. They happen at all hours of the day, in broad daylight, in front of busy stores during business hours, etc. There are some patterns though. They tend to happen a lot to hatchbacks, wagons, SUVs and to cars with out of state plates and rental cars, because they assume if you're traveling you must have valuable luggage in the trunk. From this incident though, I tell that even if I did have something valuable in the trunk, it would have been safe as long as it is out of "arm's reach" from the window. For example, if it were close to the rear of the trunk near the tailgate, or even if it was inside a box with a lid/latch that can be opened with one hand or can't be reached. Also, whatever they grab has to be able to fit through the quarter panel window because otherwise they dont' be able to pull it back out. They stole a backpack with some clothes in it, but had I had an actual roller suitcase, even the carry-on size, the wouldn't have been able to take that.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
That sucks.
You have $0 deductible glass?

I never worry anywhere i leave the crv, ofdly when i was selling my stock wheels someone messaged me that his 17+ wheels n tires were stolen but havent heard of any other consistant damaged ones or stolen.

At least they didnt damage the body or paint, id rather have replaced glass then repainted panels for resale purposes

Window is $250/300 and glue materials is a few bucks more

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pay extra for "full glass" coverage, i.e., $0 deductible when it comes to glass. I also pay extra for OEM parts, so these coverages combined or individually, not sure, will allow me get it replced with Honda OEM glass. Yeah here in our area, its so rampant that I see broken glass several times a week on the side walk and working in insurance, I see such smash and grab claims come through our office at least 1-2/ week, and we're jsut one office, there are at least several offices on every block representing all the other big names in insurance. I dont' see it dying down any time soon, especially when the penalty is a slap on the wrist. And yes, broken glass is much better than any body damage requiring a stay at the body shop.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,785 Posts
Wifey's last Volvo had laminated front door glass. She dumbly was sitting in her car in a less than perfect area and left her case that looks like it contains a laptop in the from passenger footwell.
It took a lot of effort to break through the glass, thief dumped the case intact a few doors away and a kind person reached out to her to get it back.
The film is a good addition. Hope you never see how effective it is.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
So sorry to hear this but I can attest that the Tint really does make a difference. I have had glass broken that was tinted and the guy spent so long trying to claw away the shrapnel laded tint that he ended up abandoning the job.
You can also put a glass break monitor inside the car and tie it into the alarm system. Those suckers are pretty slick as they only go off if they hear a very specific frequency. We have them at work and no matter what they never go off by accident, but if someone drops a drinking glass on the tile floor the thing starts to blare.

Rob

·
Registered
109 Posts
Too bad the local gov't leaders won't throw the book at the repeat offenders, if they did many break-ins like this would stop. As it is now, the perpetrators know that even if they're caught, they'll only be held for a few hours and be released.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the glass repair guy came today and did the repairs. He said his prius has had the same rear-quarter glass broken six times. Also to note, the rear quarter glass for our CR-V's he says is only available from Honda, no aftermarket company makes a version because it's all one piece, including the chrome trim and everything. I had taken such care into cutting up that piece of cardboard to be the same shape/size of the window, I probably should have kept it for the inevitable next break-in.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
361 Posts
It appears that you need a trunk monkey.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,027 Posts
Window smashing has been around for ages. Yes during the day here, they are smashing windows to .

yep go figure nothing new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts