Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you might recognize my handle from the Subaru, Toyota or even the Odyclub. But now it's CR-V time!

Been shopping for a nice used small SUV for our daughter, and yesterday found a nice 2013 LX at a Honda dealer. It just came in (lease return), was beautifully clean in all respects. It was advertised as certified, but the paperwork with Honda wasn't complete on that. We signed preliminary papers, so should be able to consummate the deal early next week.

I guess I now have a lot of reading to do!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Congratulations. You're buying a great vehicle for your daughter. Hopefully everything goes smoothly for y'all and you get the vehicle. Post some pics when y'all get it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was trying to get the dealer to NOT file the paperwork for certification (7yr/100k powertrain & 1yr/12k b-to-b) in favor of applying the $600 certification fee towards a Honda Care full 7yr/100k mile coverage plan, but they wouldn't go for it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. No EDIT function? I wanted to add 'thanks for the welcome', but don't seem to be able to.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
2013 is the best year as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't complain about the Cert'd warranty either. It's still better than what we got as a new car buyer.
Congrats to your daughter, she's got awesome parents.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys. She's a good student in a tough curriculum (physics & math), an RA for her dorm, a teaching asst for a freshman lab, etc. Her future looks good, so we figured we'd upgrade her early from our old 2002 Subaru Outback.

OK - maybe it's a first poster kind of thing. Now there's an edit button!

I wanted to avoid the 'first year blues' that came with the 2012 models. And we did well price-wise on this unit, so it worked. We'd been looking for a Subaru Forester for a while, but the prices on pre-owned are just crazy. I'm a little unsure of the 'on demand' nature of the Honda AWD system compared to the full time center variable clutch of the Subaru, but hopefully with a set of winter tires the CR-V will safely see her thru whatever the Rochester, NY area throws at her.

I'd be willing to pay a reasonable price for more B-to-B coverage. I work in the field, so am somewhat distrustful of modern electronics.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but all extended warranties are almost never geared towards customer benefit. The small print and loop holes far exceed the ultimate coverage.

Get your daughter set up with a trustworthy shop and convince her to do regular visits for maintenance.

I'm surprised at your last comment. I work in the field as well and have far more trust in electronics than other stuff.

:D

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but all extended warranties are almost never geared towards customer benefit. The small print and loop holes far exceed the ultimate coverage.

Get your daughter set up with a trustworthy shop and convince her to do regular visits for maintenance.
I agree completely.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I'm surprised at your last comment. I work in the field as well and have far more trust in electronics than other stuff.

:D
My perspective comes from 37 years on the bleeding edge of advanced semiconductor technology development, and a number of projects directly related to aerospace and the automotive industry. In addition, my last company did 'big data analytics', so I participated in several automotive councils and saw some actual warranty data. Electronics and software is becoming a major headache for dealerships. Most are lucky to have one or two techs with any real CAN bus diagnostic ability. I had to spoon feed my local Honda dealer diagnostic info to help them fix sliding door logic on my old Odyssey. Luckily I had the full shop mechanical/electrical manual to play with, something I can't seem to get for this vehicle.

On the subject of warranties.... In 2011 I purchased a CPO Toyota Sienna, and internet shopped for a Toyota Platinum 8 yr / 125k plan. I've received something like $8k in compensation to date. About half of that on electronics.

I know a great little Subaru shop, and use them occasionally for things I don't have time to deal with, so I value the small guy as well. But it's getting tougher for the little guy to play in this arena as things get more complex.

·
Registered
522 Posts
So you keep buying extended warranties. But don't tell the providers that in the end only you will be the winner and they'll loose their shirt.

To each their own. It's a free country.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gotta love 'questionable' dealer tactics. First they told us they couldn't deliver the vehicle because Honda hadn't processes the certification paperwork. Last night the truth began to slip out: They don't have a clean title on the lease return. And that could take another week....

My question: And why are you advertising and accepting an offer on something you don't actually own??

Response: Silence.... Then a lot of dancing.

·
Registered
776 Posts
While you're waiting, check the VIN to see if it falls under the TSB that is discussed on this site re: faulty casting cleaning on '12 & 13 CR-V's with VINs starting with several different prefixes. Sand was left in the blocks after removal from the mold and has settled into the heater core plugging said core !! Evidently, it's 4 hour fix involving several complete fluid changes with a pump kit supplied by Honda. My '13 is going in soon before the warranty expires. Good luck. Craig

·
Registered
548 Posts
While you're waiting, check the VIN to see if it falls under the TSB that is discussed on this site re: faulty casting cleaning on '12 & 13 CR-V's with VINs starting with several different prefixes. Sand was left in the blocks after removal from the mold and has settled into the heater core plugging said core !! Evidently, it's 4 hour fix involving several complete fluid changes with a pump kit supplied by Honda. My '13 is going in soon before the warranty expires. Good luck. Craig
I went searching for that TSB magnumpii but I couldn't find it. I was curious to see if also applied to the Thailand built CRV's which we get in Australia.

·
Registered
776 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts