Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've never been a big fan of Firestone's tires, but after reading the reviews on just about every SUV highway or all terrain tire on TireRack, I decided to go with the Destination A/T's in a 205/75/15. I'm glad I didn't go with the 215's because the 205's take up a pretty good portion of the rear wheel well even when the car is sitting, unloaded. It'll be interesting to see what happens when I get the back end loaded down.

Anyhow, the tires have been great for an all terrain so far. Handling was way better than the stock Duelers, as well as ride comfort. The low-medium speed noise is less, though the highway noise is about the same. Will be taking them back into the back country tomorrow night, a few buddies and I are going mountain biking. I'll definitely be interested to see how they climb the washed out road back to the trail head. I'll also update this when I get a better idea of overall gas mileage.

Some pics for now:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice setup. Can you load up the rack and post pics? Thanks
I'll have it loaded next weekend when I go down to Snowshoe with 4 DH bikes. However, any more than 3 bikes and you have to take some weight off the hitch. I usually do this by putting a ratchet strap around the wheel of the spare tire and down around the center beam of the rack. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shoot I haven't updated this in a while. Anyhow, the gas mileage is pretty dang good for an All terrain, and is actually slightly higher than the mileage I got with my Duelers. Overall I'm averaging 24 mpg (granted that I drive about 80% highway miles). Tires handle very well, and really stick to the ground on hard turns. The only complaint I could make about them (if any) was that the city mileage has seemed to drop from about 21 with the duelers to 20 with the firestones. This is likely because all terrain tires are much heavier and thus tougher to get rolling from a stop. But as I said before, once they are rolling, the mileage seems to have increased from my old tires.

Also, I didn't get a chance to take a shot of the CR-V with 4 downhill bikes on it, though it handled the weight fine with my patented "hillbilly weight distributing hitch." Here is a picture with 4 bikes, though they are not full on downhill/freeride bikes (avg. weight of each bike in this pic is probably 33 lbs or so, totaling around 200 lbs with the weight of the rack itself).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never had any rubbing front or back, even with the front wheels turned all the way in either direction. I've had 5 guys in this thing with 5 mountain bikes on here, pretty much fully loaded and the back tires never touch the wheel wells. Mind you they come very close. I probably wouldn't go any bigger than this, but I've loved these things thus far.

·
Registered
45 Posts
They look nice and those seem to be highly rated tires, but I decided to go bigger. 215/75/15 Michelin LTX M/S tires. So far they are great and I haven't had any issues, but I haven't had it loaded up like you have.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those were the other tires I was debating between when I got my Destinations. My Dad has the LTX M/S on his Ridgeline and he's really liked them. Only thing I didn't like is that the smallest size they make is the 225/70/15 though those 215/75/15 seem to fit with decent clearance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Me Too!

I just order up a set of 235/65R17's Destination A/T's for my 2010 CRV
They only come in one size larger than stock, 225/65R17, Can't wait to get them and will post some pictures later this week. BTW- the OEM Cont's lasted 27K and have about 2/32 left. I know these are more aggressive tires, but the reviews and testimony from others say the are quiet and handle great on the street too. :D

Thanks!

Tony

·
Registered
57 Posts
Supertone,

I have that same size Dest A/T on my 09 CRV and i love them. The ride is far and away better than the stock tires. Like you I got about 24-25k out of my stock tires. My A/Ts now have about 24K on them and they're hardly worn at all. I expect to get at least the 50k mile suggested wear out of them. I used them in the snow and ice this past winter and tend to wander off road from time to time and they have performed wonderfully. The rain traction is fantastic as well. They're only slightly (about 1lb) heavier than the factory tires and I have seen NO performance or mileage loss. I shopped around for months and months before deciding on these and I feel like it's the perfect tire for such a vehicle. It's mildly aggressive so there is little need to switch tires season to season and it has impeccable road manners. My only complaint is that they're somewhat hard to find in this size. My local firestone dealer had to order them (thru tirerack) from two different places. Connecticut and Georgia to get a full set.

Firestone actually has one more size up that will fit it. It's not available on Tire Rack but if you look on Firestone's website they're still listed. This is copied straight off:
P245/65R17 105S S OWL 040843 7.0-8.5 29.5

They're one half inch taller than the 235s and about 4lb heavier.

Here is a photo of my 235s

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice!

That looks really good! I was able to get the 235's too, last set they said; seems they are in demand lately. I was going to get 245's but thought rubbing might occur. Besides if the size isn't too different hopefully the dealer won't complain about the warranty extension due to the Speedo being off :rolleyes:. I'm getting them installed tomorrow; from the sounds of it this was a very good choice.

Thanks!

Tony

·
Registered
29 Posts
Arrrr

Wen't for my 2:00 P.M. "appointment" to get them installed and the guy shows me the tires and there LE's ! :mad: I had him check and the warehouse sent the wrong tires. He "promised" the AT's would be in Friday and to bring it buy after I got off work, seeing I took off today, and he would put them on for Free! :) So one day wait, I'll post em as soon as I can.

Tony

1 - 20 of 34 Posts