Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my new CR-V 2016 awd with one issue. I think the ride is too stiff at slow speeds. I can literally feel every bump, every pavement crack in the road bed. Now when I first got the car, the tire pressure was too high. I lowered it to the recommended 33 psi. The ride is still rough, IMHO. I have since lowered the pressure to 32 psi. Slightly better, but still worse than any car I have ever driven.

Is there any easy ways to address this slow speed rough ride? At highway speeds, everything is acceptable. And I must admit the handling is pretty good for a high center of gravity SUV. There is very little body roll on curves. Should I change tires? Wheels? I have read that 16" would slightly help with the higher sidewalls. But is it worth it to down size? Should I just lower the tire pressure a little more?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Most likely there is nothing wrong with the car. CR-V's have a reputation for a firmer ride. If you didn't observe this during your pre-purchase test drive then you drove on smooth roads. Sales will always direct buyers to a prescribed route. You can try a little less tire air pressure and maybe find your comfort zone. Good luck.

·
Registered
776 Posts
As one who's always had "sporty" cars, I wish it were stiffer. I wouldn't mess any further with tire pressure or you'll start compromising tire wear. You'll like it better in time I think. Soft mushy riding cars were the rule when my parents bought cars - no longer is that the case. I also suspect the lack of good sound deadening material (common on all these cars) is further reason why you notice it. You'll notice the high end cars almost always have a ride "setting" where you can dial in harsh or mush or somewhere in between. Give it a few months and report back on your feelings. Craig

·
Registered
14 Posts
You could try changing tyres. My 8th gen accord felt alot smoother when putting good year eff grip performance tyres on and ive read tgey work well on the crv. I'm waiting for my crv tyres to wear out and I'll put some Goodyear on. The uk roads are rubish here and I'm having the same issue with a firm ride. I test drove the 2015 face lift version crv on my work route which involved lots of speed bumps which were fine. I then bought the pre facelift version after a test drive on smooth roads and then found out Honda did upgrade the suspension on the newer car as those speed humps were less forgiving now. To combat this I now drive a different way home so all is good.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The CR-V is a very light weight vehicle with a "sporty" suspension. It's going to feel stiff. You could do one of the following:

1. replace the spring/struts assemblies with something softer.
2. load 4-500 lbs of sand bags or other substance in the back.
3. buy that Buick mentioned above.
4. try better tires, or go up a bit in sidewall height. A 3% increase in diameter will only have a minor impact on speed/odometer readings but can make a larger impact on the ride.

Lowering the tire pressure to an unsafe level shouldn't be an option you consider.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I love my new CR-V 2016 awd with one issue. I think the ride is too stiff at slow speeds. I can literally feel every bump, every pavement crack in the road bed. Now when I first got the car, the tire pressure was too high. I lowered it to the recommended 33 psi. The ride is still rough, IMHO. I have since lowered the pressure to 32 psi. Slightly better, but still worse than any car I have ever driven.

Is there any easy ways to address this slow speed rough ride? At highway speeds, everything is acceptable. And I must admit the handling is pretty good for a high center of gravity SUV. There is very little body roll on curves. Should I change tires? Wheels? I have read that 16" would slightly help with the higher sidewalls. But is it worth it to down size? Should I just lower the tire pressure a little more?
There is absolutely a solution to your question- progressive rate springs.

The problem is that they don't exist (yet). Typically, the aftermarket suspension manufacturers start producing replacement components around 3 years after the beginning of the model series, and the 2015-6 is still too new. As this is the last year of this CR-V, parts may become available next year perhaps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The latest crv suspension was updated. I'm not sure what was actually changed but a 2016 crv is so much smoother than my 2013 even on bigger 19" wheels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am intrigued that the 2016 cr-v has improved suspension. However, you mention 19" wheels. Unless the 19" tire sidewall is higher, the ride could be worse than with smaller wheels.

Anyway, my tires now are 32 psi front and 32.5 psi back. As the summer heat softens the tires, the ride is now acceptable at slow speeds. Basically, I don't feel I am getting tossed around all the time on the crummy roads I have to drive on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I undersealed my 2012 front and rear fenders; should have made it quieter! honestly can't really tell!
I do run my front tires 2 lbs lower(28 psi) than rear; to improve freeway speed direction stability, some help.................but it still wanders by itself!
Different tires might help; I run Hankook on my 2007 Jag XK; wonderful quiet ride. Not sure if I can them in Honda size..........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts