Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know of the defective Heads of the First Gen engines. The Seats pound themselves into the Head so that instead of there being excessive Gap on the Rockers they actually close up. OK, did an adjustment the other day only to find that one of the #3 Exhaust valves cannot be gapped properly any more. What are my options? Obviously replacing the Head is #1. Is there a way to unscrew the adjustment and grind down the end without lifting the Cam off? I didn't do a SEARCH on this. I just sat down and started typing. If anyone can answer this or send me a link to an answer I would love it. The car is in great shape with only 184000 miles on it. My other cars are much older with 2x that mileage. This '99 is still called "the new car" in my house.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Dont grind without taking cam and anything else you can out of there. Those metal filings will damage things. Take cam and such out, use rags to cover everything you can, grind and then polish as flat as possible. Remove rags carefully, spray inside the head down with brake cleaner (be preparred to use and entire can). AS SOON AS your done spraying everything so any filings that got missed by the rags are washed down to the pan, drain the oil. Those filings take a while to settle out of the oil in the pan and can get picked up by the oil pump, damaging it.

Not to mention lower end gets splash for oil in the pan which can have them get into places that will trash the motor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,069 Posts
I think it's time for the head to come off and either replaced or sent to a shop to have new valve seats machined into the head.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You misunderstand. No way would I grind into the Head. Looking for a way to take the adjuster out and away from the engine before shortening it. I was hoping with the many many 1st Gen CR-V's around that have this issue that someone would have a good solution other then Head replacement. Honda doesn't have a bulletin to replace all these bad Heads. Too bad. After all....It is their fault.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
its 20 years old and how many miles????

I'm rusty on the design that's in those heads but pulling the cam off then just grind the valve stem a little.

I know swapping those heads are something I can do drunk, high and half asleep. insanely easy. All the b series motors are.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
348 Posts
Just remove the cams without taking off the timing belt. I just did cam seals (behind the cam gears) on my '98. Took about an hour and a half, and that's adjusting the valves while I was in there. It really is a simple job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts