Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day/afternoon/morning/evening, where ever you are and when ever you are reading this! I have been wanting to post about my project for some time now and held off to avoid spammy content of an excitable novice installer (me), but now I have a legitimate query to throw at the community and all feedback is welcomed and appreciated. I have a neat setup I will gladly share whence more complete but right now I wonder if anyone has experience mounting a sub in the storage area under the stock picknik table, in a first generation CR-v ( mine is 1997)? There is a plastic inlay kinda tub shaped that clips to the body and the jack is stored underneath. Right now that plastic is out and I am removing the metal shoe that holds the jack (moving jack too :( ) and placing a very shallow formerly (now halved) cube shaped sub box on the metal frame. I have had no where to house an amplifier and I had to whiddle down the box over and over (the sub I WAS using has a large voice coil, i was putting it to use because it was available I am now following some insight from this post am building to suit...not "making it work"). This whole box idea technically was only going to be temporary as I wanted and still want to...use the plastic insert as a negative fiberglass mould and create a custom box possibly with plexiglass top. My short form questions are...1: What are anyones ideas, successes, failures, ideas, Hope's, dreams, realities in the world of first gen custom subwoofers, and not just rear storage based, let's hear it all. 2: I am no expert when it comes to crafting fiberglass though protecting the mould (plastic piece) and then resin layer after cut up fiberglass cloth after layer of resin after cloth after resin with equal dry times in between is what I have been led to believe will be a suitable process to create a sturdy fiberglass shell what does anybody with or without experience in fiberglass think of this? Also should the subs in this application be facing upwards? In that case will the table Rattle and sound terrible? Should I put two 8in subs facing downward on the rounded parts of the shell facing towards sound dampening floor? Lay it on me guys I want to get this done before it gets absolutely bitter cold outside!

Thanks in advance for your input!

Dustin

Dynamic Touch Installations

·
Registered
2,914 Posts

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I have a friend who has a regular cab Chevy pickup with a killer setup. He runs four 4" subs from 2 amps. It rocks, and sounds as good as or better than any large ones I've ever heard. It's more about the right amps and speakers than size. He built a long box that runs the width of the cab behind the seat. The 4 subs are in the center, then some space, with 2 mids on the ends. He then has 2 more mids in the doors, and tweeters in the dash. I have never heard a system that sounded better. IIRC the total wattage is 1600. He spent about a month balancing it out after the install and the end result sounds fantastic.

Of course, for all that power you'll need to upgrade to a larger battery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts