Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday the dash "wrench" lit and the MM display popped up showing I was @ 15% oil life. Since I already planned to pull the V into the garage on Sunday and clean the interior and wax the exterior, I went ahead and changed the oil, I had oil and filters left from my Gen 3 so I was ready.

One thing I found, Honda has added an additional panel below the front bumper, covering the engine and trans to smooth air flow under the car. There is an access panel that allows you to get at the drain plug and the oil filter. Now that the filter is recessed above the panel, my strap type oil filter wrench will no longer work. I will have to pick up a cup style before my next change is due about August/September.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
So when did your oil read 50% life?
I ask because ours is at 50% now and just turned 4k miles.

·
Registered
101 Posts
once you get the stock filter off you should be only tightening 3/4 of a turn after the gasket makes contact. I have never needed a wrench or filter ratchet to remove filters since using this technique.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't recall exactly, last I checked it was 50-55% but I apparently didn't give it much thought at the time.
The car is my wife's driver, I am sure she lets it idle longer than it should as evidenced by the relatively low mileage and the oil change due.

·
Registered
229 Posts
once you get the stock filter off you should be only tightening 3/4 of a turn after the gasket makes contact. I have never needed a wrench or filter ratchet to remove filters since using this technique.
What he said. The only time I need a wrench is first change or when the dealer has done it. Mine all come off by hand.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
There have been times when I wished mine would come off by hand.
I won't allow the closest dealer near my car after what I found on my used but new to me '11 Accord Coupe. I didn't think you could tighten a drain plug so tight without stripping the threads and the filter was destroyed by the time I got it off.
That being said, I rarely use a wrench to tighten the filter but often times need one to get them off. I must be getting old.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wish mine was due at 6k miles. I just did the first oil change under 4k, took it to the dealer because it didn't looked normal to me doing and oil change before at least 5k. I had 5% oil life and they told me that it depends how I drive specially short distances or city commuting, found it very odd. I drive my Camry about the same distances than my wife, and the first oil change is due at 10k.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There have been times when I wished mine would come off by hand.
I won't allow the closest dealer near my car after what I found on my used but new to me '11 Accord Coupe. I didn't think you could tighten a drain plug so tight without stripping the threads and the filter was destroyed by the time I got it off.
That being said, I rarely use a wrench to tighten the filter but often times need one to get them off. I must be getting old.
X2, tighten by hand, sometimes loosen by hand sometimes not. It doesn't help I have arthritis in one hand and had surgery on tendons in the other that hasn't been right since.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I wish mine was due at 6k miles. I just did the first oil change under 4k, took it to the dealer because it didn't looked normal to me doing and oil change before at least 5k. I had 5% oil life and they told me that it depends how I drive specially short distances or city commuting, found it very odd. I drive my Camry about the same distances than my wife, and the first oil change is due at 10k.
You must not get the engine up to operating temp much then. If not, you're not boiling off the condensation in the engine and it's contaminating the oil. I would trust the MM to get the best performance out of your CR-V's oil in cases like that. I think it'd be interesting to compare the insides of your engines some time in the future to see which one is cleaner. I'd bet on the Honda.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts