Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I apologize for the long post but it's my first post here, though I thought joined this forum (or a predecessor) when my wife (fiance at the time) and I purchased our very first car together, a 2000 CR-V. That CR-V last until our oldest daughter's first Christmas and we quickly realized we needed a bigger family vehicle. I've usually driven a European sedan and my wife the Honda/Acura people mover including including two Odysseys and an MDX.

So my wife and I were in a really serious accident about 18 months ago where a teenage girl blew threw a stop sign and t-boned my sedan at 40+ MPH. As you might imagine, we're all driving SUVs now as I want everyone higher up off the ground. Our 18 year-old daughter inherited our 2011 MDX about a year ago and will likely take the MDX with her to college next fall (let's just assume she can actually go live on campus). Our middle daughter is learning to drive on the MDX and now I'm trying to decide which car we should buy for her (and eventually her 13 year-old sister). I am generally a fan of Honda/Acura reliability and leaning towards a 2017+ CR-V w/ Honda Sensing or a 2016+ RDX with Acura Watch. I've purchased both Honda and Acura Care from Hyannis Honda and expect I will do the same when I buy again. There is an outside chance we'll look at a used MDX (or maybe Pilot) as I'd like to have at least one vehicle w/ three rows but the recent versions just seems so....big. I really can't see my 16 year-old maneuvering a Pilot.

Anyway, I'm doing my research and know there are some issues w/ oil and gas mixing in cold climate 2017 CR-Vs and I'm wondering if there are other things I need to look out for. I'd also be interested in reliability of these late model CR-Vs and RDXs...I've usually had good experiences w/ Honda products but our 2002 Odyssey had it's fair share of issues covered by Honda Care. I guess the other question is did folks do a lot of cross-shopping? I am not a big fan of Toyota Rav-4 design but maybe I should the Mazda CX-5 - that also gets great reviews and is priced similarly.

Anyway, I'm honestly having a hard time deciding and just curious in others' experiences.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,204 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Are you thinking of buying a new or used vehicle?

The RDX is a new generation as of the 2019 model, (3rd Gen). We previously owned a 2018 CRV which we traded in for a 19 RDX, and now we own both a 2020 CR-V and a 19 RDX...In my opinion, the 2017+ CRV (5th Gen) offers more features than the 2nd Gen RDX. Also in my opinion, a CR-V is more "appropriate" for a young driver than the upscale RDX.

Without getting into a long discussion of the oil and gas mixing, the issue seems to have been resolved with a few changes that Honda implemented via updates for existing 2017 models and at the factory for subsequent model years. I don't think I have seen any mention of it in 2019 + models. I could be wrong, and IF I am , surely someone will mention it here. :)

The Mazda CX-5 is a nice vehicle but is smaller than the CR-V inside. Many folks who have cross shopped decide it is too small for their needs, and others are fine with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I noticed that about the 5th Gen CR-V and the 2nd Gen RDX. I also think the 2017+ CR-V is a much better looking vehicle both inside and out.

We are definitely buying used, I can get the girls a 2017 touring or 2018 EX-L w/ ~36k miles for well under $25k. I think I'd like to spend about $20k but we'll see if that's possible.

I will say that one reason I was thinking RDX is the possibility of running out Acura Care a year longer. Not sure if I mentioned previously, but I bought Acura Care for our 2011 MDX just before the 4/50k expired and had it under an Acura zero deductible warranty for nine years...it did end up paying for itself but not until years eight and nine.

My wife test drove the 2019 RDX about a year ago and we really liked it...but we ended up going German as she was coming from the MDX and wanted something "different." I'd snap up one of those for the girls but I'll never find one at the right price point...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts