Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2017 AWD Touring since... well, 2017 and I've never experienced the auto-braking. I've seen the big orange "BRAKE" symbol when I'm cut off on the freeway here in California multiple times but never the auto-braking feature.

This week I was driving through our local city/town at the 50mph speed limit and suddenly everyone was hitting the brakes hard. I also braked hard but another car swerved hard directly in my lane to avoid a rear-end collision which completely compromised my braking distance. I hit the brakes hard only to see that my CRV even braked harder without my assistance. It was a complete surprise that it took control but in the end was a good choice as there was no collision. My wife screamed :) but also commented about how in the world did we avoid an accident? One key feature was my switch to better than OEM tires which I'm sure helped. Overall scary experience but I'm very impressed!

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,093 Posts
Honda Sensing doing exactly what it should :)

And good that you have good tyres too - they make all the difference, yet is one of the key expense areas where people scrimp on.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
1,072 Posts
My 2019's auto braking system saved me from rear-ending a vehicle in front of me that had come to a sudden stop on a stretch of open highway that I was not completely familiar with at the time. Turns out, sudden stops happen there commonly. Live and learn.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,194 Posts
I've had my 2017 AWD Touring since... well, 2017 and I've never experienced the auto-braking. I've seen the big orange "BRAKE" symbol when I'm cut off on the freeway here in California multiple times but never the auto-braking feature.

This week I was driving through our local city/town at the 50mph speed limit and suddenly everyone was hitting the brakes hard. I also braked hard but another car swerved hard directly in my lane to avoid a rear-end collision which completely compromised my braking distance. I hit the brakes hard only to see that my CRV even braked harder without my assistance. It was a complete surprise that it took control but in the end was a good choice as there was no collision. My wife screamed :) but also commented about how in the world did we avoid an accident? One key feature was my switch to better than OEM tires which I'm sure helped. Overall scary experience but I'm very impressed!
So glad that you and family are OK! It is a scary feeling, but the end result is worth the short lived scare.

·
Registered
106 Posts

this has happened to me twice since 2019, and when it does I think (cms) "wow this really does work"....and I'll admit both times it was my stupidity....(looking away at something)....

Reactions: tomsch63

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,498 Posts
(looking away at something)....
This is exactly what current level HondaSensing is focused on... being a second set of eyes, hands, and feet on the controls for when the driver is somehow distracted and misses a critical safety incident on the road. (y) (y)

It's like having an emergency co-pilot driving with you.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,194 Posts
This is exactly what current level HondaSensing is focused on... being a second set of eyes, hands, and feet on the controls for when the driver is somehow distracted and misses a critical safety incident on the road. (y) (y)

It's like having an emergency co-pilot driving with you.
Yes, except, of course, don't start relying on Honda Sensing, your eyes are still the best bet.

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
Super Moderator
7,498 Posts
Yes, except, of course, don't start relying on Honda Sensing, your eyes are still the best bet.
Indeed, being as the second set of eyes is back up for the driver who really should be paying attention to everything going on around them, not poking at their phones while driving, or manipulating the head unit, etc. etc.

·
Registered
2019 EX-L
20 Posts
This is my first car w auto braking and it kicked in mildly when a pedestrian ran across the street in a very safe distance away from the car. I thought it functioned well, did not slam on the brakes but rather felt it tapped it a couple times, which I felt was sufficient in that case. Impressed.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,093 Posts
This is my first car w auto braking and it kicked in mildly when a pedestrian ran across the street in a very safe distance away from the car. I thought it functioned well, did not slam on the brakes but rather felt it tapped it a couple times, which I felt was sufficient in that case. Impressed.
I've had that too - and found that the auto-braking is MUCH more aggressive when an idiotic pedestrian tries their luck crossing the road....

Worries me somewhat because often, drivers behind you have no idea why you are braking - rear end fears are real, however, they (the driver behind you) should be maintaining a better/safer distance frankly!!

Reactions: CRawdexV15

·
Registered
2019 EX-L
20 Posts
I've had that too - and found that the auto-braking is MUCH more aggressive when an idiotic pedestrian tries their luck crossing the road....

Worries me somewhat because often, drivers behind you have no idea why you are braking - rear end fears are real, however, they (the driver behind you) should be maintaining a better/safer distance frankly!!
Agreed. Installed rear dash cam for this extra insurance lol I feel slightly better

·
Registered
127 Posts

The CR-Vs have a great auto-brake system. It’s also a good idea to leave a lot of room between you and the car on front of you. As I trust No One, I do my best to look through the car in front of mine’s, rear window to see if the car in front of him/her is braking. A lot of people only brake at the last second not giving the car behind them any amount of warning time.

·
Super Moderator
7,498 Posts
The CR-Vs have a great auto-brake system. It’s also a good idea to leave a lot of room between you and the car on front of you. As I trust No One, I do my best to look through the car in front of mine’s, rear window to see if the car in front of him/her is braking. A lot of people only brake at the last second not giving the car behind them any amount of warning time.
I'm a defensive driver, so I also generally keep a close eye on vehicles behind me as well. If I find a driver is persistently tail gating me, I make adjustments accordingly, because if I have to make a sudden stop... I don't want to get rear ended. I also check to see if they appear to be distracted with their phone, or it's a Tesla behind me. Either observation and I will immediately make lane changes to get out of their driving lane.

Two tactics have worked well for me over the years:
1) Check that they have their eyes forward, and then light tap on my brakes, just enough to trigger the brake lights. Generally, a couple of these and the tailgater will change lanes and pass me.
2) Simply take my foot off the gas and let my vehicle slowly decelerate. Generally, this triggers an immediate lane change behind me from the tailgater. This works even better with modern vehicles as they will have safety systems in them that will nanny-nag the driver behind me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tuesday on the Mass Pike (lots of hills) I moved into the left lane to pass a tractor trailer. I was driving at 70 MPH in a 65 MPH zone with no vehicles in the rear view mirror at the time. All of a sudden a Jeep Wrangler appeared in the right lane as I was just about at the trailer's rear and cut in front of me. Had I not hit the brakes I believe the Jeephole would have hit me. I hit the brakes hard, went about a foot left, and then got back up to speed. I have no idea if the CR-V auto-braking took hold as I pressed pretty hard on the pedal and was not about to look at the display. But the CR-V auto-braking has taken over several other times around town. Great safety measures except for not working in inclement weather when you really need it.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Touring
55 Posts
Mines activated once and WOW, it was pretty awesome, I looked away for a second and before I knew it I was hitting the brakes along with the assistance, I love the extra safety net Honda provides, probably saved my hiney in that particular instance.

Brian

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hi .
What kind of tires were you using ?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Glad the Gen 5's auto-braking feature has saved a lot of drivers from accidents. Curious: When it activates, does it also activate the brake lights? I would hope it would.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,093 Posts
Glad the Gen 5's auto-braking feature has saved a lot of drivers from accidents. Curious: When it activates, does it also activate the brake lights? I would hope it would.
Yes it does (on my UK 5G anyway....)

Reactions: pjaymac

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,066 Posts
Exactly why I love adaptive cruise and associated features. It's a big additional safety feat to have a second set of eyes on the road Other than wife, mother in law etc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts