Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Glad to join your forum. I'm from the central prairies of Canada where we can experience warm summers, but cold Januarys of 30 below. I love color and didn't want to buy the metallic Grey CR-V (guess who won that one).
We leased our 2018 CR-V in July, 2018
Flint - AKA Kevin

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,915 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Kevin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome to Honda ownership. I began working as a Honda dealer tech in 1984. Best advice I can share is to change the engine oil every 3-4,000 miles (4.5K - 6.5K) or twice a year whichever comes first. Use Honda oil filters. Hopefully you have a good dealer nearby. Enjoy your drive!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Welcome to Honda ownership. I began working as a Honda dealer tech in 1984. Best advice I can share is to change the engine oil every 3-4,000 miles (4.5K - 6.5K) or twice a year whichever comes first. Use Honda oil filters. Hopefully you have a good dealer nearby. Enjoy your drive!
nothing made in the last God knows how long needs oil changes that close together anymore. If it does there is a huge problem. 5000-6000 at least.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
That's just an opinion, we all have them. I change mine every 3k, always have ,still do, always will, using regular oil. Oil is not better than it used to be, and no other conditions have improved either. If anything they've gotten worse. Engines run hotter today, and are smaller and carry less oil and are harder on that oil. Aluminum engines present their own set of problems. The list goes on ad infinitum. You might get by with going longer, but why risk it? Especially when it costs so little.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
First is if you want to change that early, sure go for it. Nothing wrong with doing it, makes a person more comfortable then please by all means. We all work to be able to relax after. No need to be second guessing things.

So what I am about to say is just to clear up things. Not to say what you doing is wrong, only not a NEED, only personal preference.

It's not opinion at all. Its actual fact. Both engine oil and engines are designed to go much longer between oil changes. Read owners manuals and such as well. Granted some allow for 10k between oil changes which I think is too much.

I've also been an engine tech professionally for about 17 yr and under the hood since I could see over the grill.

Stating changing oil at 3-4000 is purely a person matter because there is no need more does it effect engine life to go almost twice that long when using synthetic oil which is what the vast majority of newer vehicles have gone to over the last 10 years. Many cars the warranty is voided if conventional is used. And those cars, which carry long warranties on their engines, all state to run much longer between changes.

If you want to of course it's not going to hurt anything. But the feel of necessity is almost 2 decades out dated and solely person opinion. Fact is that changes arent needed that often anymore.

One other point that many miss is thinking that $30-35 or more every couple months is nothing. Glad people have that level of income (or worse assume vehicles arent driven more than 6-8000 miles a year, no disrespect but that applies to elderly only) can just toss that much money away like it's nothing. Most people cannot. People buy vehicles they can afford and are reliable because repairs and such constantly they cant afford. So spending 3 4 5x as much as needed on oil changes every year is a wasted money that's better utilized elsewhere.

Personally I would be changing my CRVs oil every 2 months at most based on those rules. Instead of once every 4 months, thus saving me almost $150 a year and my V is at 224k runs and drives like new, engines almost perfectly clean inside still.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
First is if you want to change that early, sure go for it. Nothing wrong with doing it, makes a person more comfortable then please by all means. We all work to be able to relax after. No need to be second guessing things.

I appreciate the courtesy, especially as we are only talking about a 50% difference anyway, between what we espouse.

So what I am about to say is just to clear up things. Not to say what you doing is wrong, only not a NEED, only personal preference.

It's not opinion at all. Its actual fact. Both engine oil and engines are designed to go much longer between oil changes. Read owners manuals and such as well. Granted some allow for 10k between oil changes which I think is too much.

There is no data to support this conclusion, just as there is none to support the idea that there have been oil or engine improvements. In point of fact, there have been no such improvements in either. The only things that have changed overall in organic oil (I am not talking about synthetics at all, as the jury will remain out on those for a long time to come, yet, on outcome/results) are some different oil additives, and most engines are all aluminum now, which is not an improvement excluding weight. Generally it's the same oil, and mechanically the same engines.

I've also been an engine tech professionally for about 17 yr and under the hood since I could see over the grill.

My mechanical experience began at age 11, working on transmissions. By 17 I was building street and drag racing engines and cars as well as driving and crewing. In my 20's I raced Motocross and Cross Country before I moved on to just riding street bikes, after my doctor (and my wife) warned that if I didn't stop I would be paralyzed, following one too many back, head, and other injuries. After that I began restoring cars, building engines and doing repairs on the side, and crewing on a dirt track super modified car team. In recent years I gave it all up after still more injuries. But I keep up, still do some repairs and mods. I also own, restore, use, and maintain old woodworking machines, some of which are more than a hundred years old. Lastly, I rebuild Quincy air compressors on the side.

Stating changing oil at 3-4000 is purely a person matter because there is no need more does it effect engine life to go almost twice that long when using synthetic oil which is what the vast majority of newer vehicles have gone to over the last 10 years. Many cars the warranty is voided if conventional is used. And those cars, which carry long warranties on their engines, all state to run much longer between changes.

This is where your opinion comes in, and where I beg to differ. While these recommendations may have changed, they are being made by carmakers who want to sell more cars, which makes their motives questionable.

If you want to of course it's not going to hurt anything. But the feel of necessity is almost 2 decades out dated and solely person opinion. Fact is that changes aren't needed that often anymore.

One other point that many miss is thinking that $30-35 or more every couple months is nothing. Glad people have that level of income (or worse assume vehicles aren't driven more than 6-8000 miles a year, no disrespect but that applies to elderly only) can just toss that much money away like it's nothing. Most people cannot. People buy vehicles they can afford and are reliable because repairs and such constantly they cant afford. So spending 3 4 5x as much as needed on oil changes every year is a wasted money that's better utilized elsewhere.

I get it about budgets, I live on one too nowadays. But folks who live that tight are not riding around in brand new $35k cars, or if they are, I definitely have an opinion about that. And it's not wasted money, it's smart money.

Personally I would be changing my CRVs oil every 2 months at most based on those rules. Instead of once every 4 months, thus saving me almost $150 a year and my V is at 224k runs and drives like new, engines almost perfectly clean inside still.
You get the idea, and I get yours. But my method costs only 50% more, and I believe it is money well spent and is the best method. YMMV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.