Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

First Week with My EX

4327 Views 46 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  patruns
Quick Background: Our house has had a 17 EX, 17 EXL, 19 EXL, 19 Subaru Forester Sport and 21 Forester Limited.

Purchased an EX for $35,000 with matts, cargo tray, wheel locks, and door edge trim.

The Good:
This vehicle drives so much better than the 5G. It feels a lot tighter and in control. The vehicle does feel a little bigger when looking out over the hood. The seat sides are a little tighter. The power feels similar. The engine is quieter for sure. The ride is quieter overall.

The new driving assists got a much needed upgrade. The lane steering below 45mph is great. On par with my Forester. The lane keep and centering is also a much needed upgrade and on par with the Forester.

Gas mileage is as stated. 28-29mpg average for my AWD. I do like the drive modes and pistol grip shifter. Only mistake I have found is not including sport mode on the Mode selector instead of the shifter.

The blue warm up light addition to the CRV is was a surprise but welcomed because I'm not sure there is a coolant temp guage that I have found yet. Similar to the light on Subaru. The other addition is the pop open fuel door. As opposed to the fuel release door, which sucked on the old CRV.

Electronics: The base sound system isn't great as expected but it's more acceptable than the Subaru I had. The fast charging USB C is a great feature. I can get a decent charge on my short drive to work. The new headunit screen is not that nice. I don't mind the small size, but the screen is not as bright or clear as I would like. Steering wheel controls work well. I don't miss Wireless Android Auto as I have a dongle that works just fine.

The Bad:
Where the hell did XM radio go? I know I'm old and it's not cool anymore but I do miss it. Seats are tighter than I remember. I miss the panaromic roof in the Subaru. I do wish for just a touch more power, but Sport mode is enough for daily driving to have some fun.

If you detail your cars, you will notice the bigger vehicle. Reaching to the middle of the hood or windshield is a tall man/woman's game. It's big. I noticed a couple fit and finish issues on the rear quarter panels. Not enough to get fixed, but enough to annoy.

THE HORN. Fire whoever allowed that to be in this vehicle. It's comically bad. Meep Meep. I honk to make people laugh, not move out of the way.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
2023 Still Night Pearl Sports Touring
18 Posts
UMR: Please tell us more about the blue warmup light. How long it stays on etc.

“The blue warm up light addition to the CRV is was a surprise but welcomed”

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,577 Posts
Quick Background: Our house has had a 17 EX, 17 EXL, 19 EXL, 19 Subaru Forester Sport and 21 Forester Limited.

Purchased an EX for $35,000 with matts, cargo tray, wheel locks, and door edge trim.

The Good:
This vehicle drives so much better than the 5G. It feels a lot tighter and in control. The vehicle does feel a little bigger when looking out over the hood. The seat sides are a little tighter. The power feels similar. The engine is quieter for sure. The ride is quieter overall.

The new driving assists got a much needed upgrade. The lane steering below 45mph is great. On par with my Forester. The lane keep and centering is also a much needed upgrade and on par with the Forester.

Gas mileage is as stated. 28-29mpg average for my AWD. I do like the drive modes and pistol grip shifter. Only mistake I have found is not including sport mode on the Mode selector instead of the shifter.

The blue warm up light addition to the CRV is was a surprise but welcomed because I'm not sure there is a coolant temp guage that I have found yet. Similar to the light on Subaru. The other addition is the pop open fuel door. As opposed to the fuel release door, which sucked on the old CRV.

Electronics: The base sound system isn't great as expected but it's more acceptable than the Subaru I had. The fast charging USB C is a great feature. I can get a decent charge on my short drive to work. The new headunit screen is not that nice. I don't mind the small size, but the screen is not as bright or clear as I would like. Steering wheel controls work well. I don't miss Wireless Android Auto as I have a dongle that works just fine.

The Bad:
Where the hell did XM radio go? I know I'm old and it's not cool anymore but I do miss it. Seats are tighter than I remember. I miss the panaromic roof in the Subaru. I do wish for just a touch more power, but Sport mode is enough for daily driving to have some fun.

If you detail your cars, you will notice the bigger vehicle. Reaching to the middle of the hood or windshield is a tall man/woman's game. It's big. I noticed a couple fit and finish issues on the rear quarter panels. Not enough to get fixed, but enough to annoy.

THE HORN. Fire whoever allowed that to be in this vehicle. It's comically bad. Meep Meep. I honk to make people laugh, not move out of the way.
Great objective review from a long time forum member. (y) (y)

The reported horn sound is comical enough that I personally would keep it. Then again, in my high school days we were really into odd horn sound effects. :)

· Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got my 2023 EX a week ago and never thought to try the horn. Have to now!
Dare you to not laugh.

The reported horn sound is comical enough that I personally would keep it. Then again, in my high school days we were really into odd horn sound effects. :)
Thanks. I'll try to add to this post as i find more things.

· Registered
233 Posts
UMR: Please tell us more about the blue warmup light. How long it stays on etc.

“The blue warm up light addition to the CRV is was a surprise but welcomed”
Mine stays on no more than a 2 minutes but it is garaged. This morning it was 8 degrees outside

Dare you to not laugh.

Thanks. I'll try to add to this post as i find more things.
Its so bad Honda should upgrade under warranty

The Good:

The Bad:

No more hd/xm on ex models. If you have a xm account download the app on your phone and use AA to use it or Pandora is a good choice. After replacing the oem tires I find mine very quiet , Acura quiet. The engine is also quieter but is has more low end power due to lack of turbo lag. I also have a 20 Subaru, a Legacy, which I like but the more simplistic dash design of the CRV is appealing . The CRV seems to have a tighter structure and actually rides better than my Legacy. Seats do seem tighter but I think on long drives these will be better than gen 5 . What are your fit and finish issues? Do you have a pic?

· Registered
2020 CR-V Touring
229 Posts

Back in the 80s I had a Fiat X1/9, whose horn was a comical little "beep." I bought an aftermarket horn that was more like what you would expect from a semi. Probably overkill, but after that, I got a lot more respect on the road!

· Registered
2022 Honda CRV EX-L
321 Posts
Horns seem to have fallen out of favor. We had a 2013 Hyundai Sonata Limited that we discovered could be fitted with a second horn with little trouble. Some bean counter just went cheap, and with the dual horns it sounded like a real car!

Perhaps Honda bought some leftover Road Runner horns from the 70s?

· Registered
5 Posts

The Good:

The Bad:

Mos def!
I ordered the car in late Augusr and when I heard no XM or cargo cover I almost canceled. Just retired and need Howard on the road.
On way home from dealer I streamed XM on my phone and used .6 gig over 400 miles and 5.5 hours. That's over 10gigs a month plus normal phone usage.
THIS IS BOLOGNA!
Next car a Mazda CX50 with 2.5 turbo when they add more gears to the transmission.

Just got my 2023 EX a week ago and never thought to try the horn. Have to now!
The 2022 horn was just fine, it's a Japenese car with a traditional Japanese horn..JUST LEAVE IT THAT WAY.
Now, it's useless. No getting anyone's attention for squat.

· Super Moderator
2021 CRV EX-L Radiant Red Metallic
1,293 Posts
Mos def!
I ordered the car in late Augusr and when I heard no XM or cargo cover I almost canceled. Just retired and need Howard on the road.
On way home from dealer I streamed XM on my phone and used .6 gig over 400 miles and 5.5 hours. That's over 10gigs a month plus normal phone usage.
THIS IS BOLOGNA!
Next car a Mazda CX50 with 2.5 turbo when they add more gears to the transmission.

The 2022 horn was just fine, it's a Japenese car with a traditional Japanese horn..JUST LEAVE IT THAT WAY.
Now, it's useless. No getting anyone's attention for squat.
XM was not offered as a dealer installed option? I understand it can be installed on any car.

· Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
2,087 Posts
THIS IS BOLOGNA!
Who doesn’t have unlimited data these days?

· Registered
2022 Honda CRV EX-L
321 Posts
No unlimited here, and you’d need to have a head unit with Sirius/XM capability or it would have to be an outboard instal.

· Registered
Gen 5 CRV
1,414 Posts

The Good:

The Bad:

Can you be more specific about how the Gen 6 drives better than the Gen 5?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts