Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read through some of the other wiper topics and it seems most folks replace them with something like a Bosch or PIAA. Is the consensus that it’s not worth just replacing the OEM insert? Is that even possible?

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
refill is a lot cheaper then a hole new product. who you get and order from.

·
Premium Member
2018 Honda CRV EX-L
421 Posts
I replaced all 3 inserts at 1.5 years. OEM $24. Wipes glass like it did when new. Plan on staying on 1.5 year schedule. I don't see a need to replace the entire wiper blade.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. I can't say I've been happy with the stock wipers. On my '17 they are very "chattery" when in use.
Good enough reason to try new blades. I used Bosches on my Fords and was pleased with their performance. A bit pricey, though.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
For a 2017 CR-V:

Rear wiper: Rubber, Blade (300MM) - Honda (76722-TRN-H01) - list US $6.90/online $4.83
Rubber, Blade (650MM) - Honda (76622-TDK-J01) - list US $7.48/online $5.24
Rubber, Blade (425MM) - Honda (76632-TZ3-A03) - list US $6.90/online $4.83

The rear wiper has two metal pieces that slip into slots on each side of the rubber blade.
Don't forget to remove them from the old blade and insert them into the new blade.

And the instructions for replacing the wiper blade rubber is in your Owners Manual.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I read through some of the other wiper topics and it seems most folks replace them with something like a Bosch or PIAA. Is the consensus that it’s not worth just replacing the OEM insert? Is that even possible?
I replace them with the inserts OEM. I put the honda inserts and work perfect, unless the arms are defective then i would change them

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
I replace the entire assembly on the front blades, for two reasons:

1) I usually want better blades then the OEMs, and frankly better blade holders .. and so getting the proper full assembly is prudent in my case. I generally go with Bosch Icons and they last as long as two or three sets of replacement OEM blades.

2) The OEM blade holders are largely rubber and plastic.. so they are going to degrade over time... and as such.. it is easier and more prudent for me to simply be in the habit of replacing the entire assembly. Same is true for non-OEM blade assemblies.. so they too need periodic replacement.

Cost is irrelevant to me.

For the rear, I just replace the blades with OEM. The assembly for the blades are metal and not subject to sun damage and fatique like the front assemblies are. The only time the rear blade is ever used is when the automatic wiper feature on my Touring + the gear shift being in reverse means the blades have a mind of their own and are automatic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I replaced the wiper blades twice on my car since purchasing in March 2017. Last winter (December 2018) and two weeks ago. I purchased the Rain-X blades on recommendation of several friends. I like them and installing them was very easy. I had a discount from Advanced Auto so I splurged on them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have for many years and on many Honda’s purchased refills at the dealer, never a problem. After market usually require adapters.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I tried the Bosch on my 2016 and the long one on the drivers side, wouldn't curve down and sit against the glass like it was supposed to. I bought the honda oem inserts (found the set of three on ebay for ~$21) and they were really easy to replace and am very happy with the wiping results. Plus, I like the original look as opposed to the Bosch blade assembly.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
I tried the Bosch on my 2016 and the long one on the drivers side, wouldn't curve down and sit against the glass like it was supposed to. I bought the honda oem inserts (found the set of three on ebay for ~$21) and they were really easy to replace and am very happy with the wiping results. Plus, I like the original look as opposed to the Bosch blade assembly.

With the Bosch wipers, you have to be careful and select the ones that fit your vehicle, because they sell two different style blade holders for the drivers side blade (for curved and non-curved wind screens). If you get the wrong one, it will not wipe correctly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
With the Bosch wipers, you have to be careful and select the ones that fit your vehicle, because they sell two different style blade holders for the drivers side blade (for curved and non-curved wind screens). If you get the wrong one, it will not wipe correctly.
That makes total sense with what happened to me, thanks for that tip. Maybe it all worked out, since I ended up returning the Bosch's and getting OEM inserts and prefer the OEM blade assembly look better.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts