Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted on the long thread concerning the noise issue on cold starts and the vtc valve. I am looking for ideas from like minded technical people who are willing to think outside the realm of the Honda "non-fix" of replacing the vtc valve which does not really solve the problem. Some sort of check valve is needed. Has anyone taken a look at the oil lines, the block, the oil passages to see if this could be some how feasible?

Thanx for any help or ideas

·
Registered
182 Posts
I suggested a check valve earlier today. In lieu of that a redesign is probably the only recourse. I suggest that the oil should flow down from above the chamber, then be pushed out of another port on the top. that way it would always be full. I haven't had an opportunity to look any closer than opening the hood on one of these cars, so that is about as far as one could go without some technical drawings or at least a look through a service manual.
Another way would be to use a "pre-oiler" system. A small electric motor would spin an oil pump* just enough to generate enough pressure to turn off the idiot light. Once that light went out, the start circuit would automatically energize. You would not believe how quiet an engine sounds when starting with oil pressure already established. As an added bonus, it would eliminate nearly all wear associated with cold starting.
I installed one of these systems on a Piper Saratoga with a 300 hp turbocharged Lycoming six cylinder engine.

*An alternative would be an accumulator system. As you drove, a cylinder of a certain volume with a diaphragm in it, would store pressurized oil until the next time the starter was energized. Releasing that pressure into the oil galleries a few seconds before the starter engaged.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good thinking McReviver. A check ball in the right location would be simplest. I was thinking of a spring loaded cylinder filled thru a check valve and emptied thru a solenoid piped into a point close to the variable cam oil chamber. Yes we are thinking along the same lines.

I looked into a service manual from Helm Inc. helminc.com but not available for 2014. Maybe something older available. Check out this technical service bulletin - Honda A09-010 or A15110e

Wish I knew how to attach a .PDF file

1 - 3 of 3 Posts