Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I have a 2018 CR-V that’s about to turn a year old in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering if some of your older 2017/18 CR-V owners or maybe some of the newer 2018/19 owners have noticed any annoying rattles throughout the cabin? For the noises I’ve been hearing in mine I really haven’t found anything on anywhere online, so I wanted to start a conversation to see if my problems are just exclusive to my CR-V.

That being said, the first and most prominent one I had was the passenger side glove box rattling. I found out that due to the way that it latches (prongs protruding out on both right and left sides of the glove box), the space that was left in between where the prongs are and where it latches was causing a slight rattle. I fixed it by putting some velcro within where the prongs latch to close the glove box to try and minimize the movement, and so far it’s working pretty well (fingers crossed!).

The next couple rattles were fairly recent. About a month ago something was rattling from the trunk, and I found that one of the plastic covers on the tailgate portion that pops out so you can access the outside mechanical latch mechanism was loose. I don’t know when/how it got loose, but right now I have it secured with some blue tape; so if anyone has had/has a similar problem and has found a solution, please let me know, because I don’t want to have to keep tape on there forever.

The next fairly recent one (which I actually only found today after about a month or torment) was a rattle coming from the sunroof area. It only happened intermittently- hence why it took me so long- but nevertheless it annoys the heck out of me. I think this is a common problem for Hondas with sunroofs (found people were have similar problems on earlier model Pilots and Accords with a sunroof), but I have yet to find the actual source of the rattling, so wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem/has had it fixed? If you tap your headliner gently enough to simulate a bump just in between the rear left seat and the drivers seat, you should be able to hear it when not moving (at least that’s how I found it).

Thank you in advance for your input, and Happy Holidays!

~PS~
So with all that being said, I needed to vent a little and have to say that I’m extremely disappointed in the build quality of this car. Before this I had a 2003 Toyota Camry SE that has about 200k more miles than my CR-V right now and never really had any rattling problems (except the passenger glove box), even when I stopped driving it at 14 years as my DD and got the CR-V. Not only that, though, but with the extremely big engine problem (that shall not be named), I fear that Hondas are not as reliable as people make them out to be, especially after these quality issues that I don’t even experience in my 16 year old Camry.

I must admit though- as much as I still love my CR-V despite its flaws- the all-new 2019 Toyota RAV4 is looking pretty nice ATM (even though it is a tad bit slower than the CR-V :/ )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had rattles coming from under the dash on the drivers side that turned out to be the plastic sheathing on the wire cables, I solved it by using 'zip' ties liberally on the cables.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Mine's rattle-free, except for sometimes the cupholder or coins in the "cubby". (My last car had a similar style cupholder that would also rattle during use; must be something about the design. I don't mind too much, as it's a really stable design.)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi everyone!

The next fairly recent one (which I actually only found today after about a month or torment) was a rattle coming from the sunroof area. It only happened intermittently- hence why it took me so long- but nevertheless it annoys the heck out of me. I think this is a common problem for Hondas with sunroofs (found people were have similar problems on earlier model Pilots and Accords with a sunroof), but I have yet to find the actual source of the rattling, so wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem/has had it fixed? If you tap your headliner gently enough to simulate a bump just in between the rear left seat and the drivers seat, you should be able to hear it when not moving (at least that’s how I found it).

Thank you in advance for your input, and Happy Holidays!

~PS~
So with all that being said, I needed to vent a little and have to say that I’m extremely disappointed in the build quality of this car. Before this I had a 2003 Toyota Camry SE that has about 200k more miles than my CR-V right now and never really had any rattling problems (except the passenger glove box), even when I stopped driving it at 14 years as my DD and got the CR-V. Not only that, though, but with the extremely big engine problem (that shall not be named), I fear that Hondas are not as reliable as people make them out to be, especially after these quality issues that I don’t even experience in my 16 year old Camry.

I must admit though- as much as I still love my CR-V despite its flaws- the all-new 2019 Toyota RAV4 is looking pretty nice ATM (even though it is a tad bit slower than the CR-V :/ )

Yes, I have also noticed the one coming from the sunroof sliding visor/headliner area. And it too is driving me nuts! I haven't had a chance to look into it further and I'm thinking the only way to deal with it is to remove or pull down partially the headlines to see what's in there.

Interestingly I have an 2018 CRV as well which replaces a 2003 car, in my case a Honda Accord and I also noticed a big difference in build quality and also, the quality of materials, from thickness of the sheet metal to thickness and type/weave of the carpet and floor mats. I don't know if it's an old vs. new thing or the fact that the Accord is considered a higher level car, whereas the CRV considered in the Civic class? And yes, the old Accord at 240K miles, had NO rattles anywhere and drove and felt very solid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I have also noticed the one coming from the sunroof sliding visor/headliner area. And it too is driving me nuts! I haven't had a chance to look into it further and I'm thinking the only way to deal with it is to remove or pull down partially the headlines to see what's in there.

Interestingly I have an 2018 CRV as well which replaces a 2003 car, in my case a Honda Accord and I also noticed a big difference in build quality and also, the quality of materials, from thickness of the sheet metal to thickness and type/weave of the carpet and floor mats. I don't know if it's an old vs. new thing or the fact that the Accord is considered a higher level car, whereas the CRV considered in the Civic class? And yes, the old Accord at 240K miles, had NO rattles anywhere and drove and felt very solid.
Wow, for a second there I thought I was the only one... definitely thought that my CR-V was the only one that had a serious build quality issue. Thanks for letting me know I’m not alone!

My car is due for its ~17,000 mile service soon (B6 service), so I think that when I put it in I’m going to have them look at the rattling. I’ve been keeping the sunroof shade closed for the past couple weeks and the rattling isn’t as noticeable as when the sunshade is open, but over more bumpy roads, you can definitely hear it. I’m hoping that it’s just like a loose plastic piece or an loose bolt or screw or something easy like that, but I’m kind of hesitant to have them even look at it because I don’t want them to end up dropping the headliner (which I expect they’re going to have to do to diagnose the problem) and then make things worse. But if I do end up getting it looked at (which I more than likely will) I’ll definitely tell you what happens!

Also nice to know that I’m not the only one that has noticed quality differences between the cars of yesterday and today. I think that in every automakers attempt to maximize profit and save a buck, they all have cut corners when it comes to the quality of the materials in their cars. Sure the soft-touch dash and door panels are nice, and the faux wood trim looks decent, but will it last me the 10+ years I hope to keep the car? I’d rather have something that’s not as aesthetically pleasing in the car that‘s going to last me a decade than something that looks good now but won’t hold up down the road.

Oh well. I guess only time will tell...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts