Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we are on our 2nd key in 14 years on our 2007 CR-V. Both of these keys have broken in same place. Is there a fix for this?

Order a key fob body from ebay?

Thanks.

Dustin

·
Registered
14 Posts
The chip is in the button portion of the fob, so you can order a replacement button. I'd use OEM parts, otherwise its a gamble whether or not it'll work. I was using mine broken and taped up for 3+ years before I coughed up the $$$ for a replacement.....waited till it broke apart as I had a backup key.

The other option is to get a regular key cut without the built in fob, but then you sacrifice the convenience.
I've been more careful with the replacement and got a silicone cover/case for it, so far so great

Although, if you buy from the stealership, you'll have to buy the whole button fob assembly, so eBay may be worth the gamble if you can get just the top and back cover only

·
Registered
2009 Honda CR-V EX-L w/out NAV 4WD 4 Cylinders 2.4L FI DOHC 144 CID
33 Posts
Mine has cracked there too on both my fobs.

I could be wrong but if it's just cracked plastic, ordering a cheaper replacement fob and using it's plastic shell to put all your current fobs innards into should not be an issue. I'd just be mindful of new fob button lay out matching what you have now. I'd also make sure it has a return policy incase the innards don't fit.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,016 Posts
I say the oils dried, brittle due to temps, etc sell the car if the key is bothersome. honestly file it, glue over it and if you are not happy get a different fob.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Ours is cracked too...many replacement batteries, installed by the 'gorillas' at Batteries +. :rolleyes:

I second the suggestion to just replace the cover with an ebay - sourced fob.

Reactions: XXLMandalorian

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Just a thought: If you replace the batteries yourself, use a drop of thread-locker or RTV rather than tightening the screw down until it cracks!

Reactions: XXLMandalorian

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
One of my two keys has gotten loose, so I retired that one and use the other. I would order a new case for it (from wherever) and replace the case, keeping all the internal components.

Or you could get reeeeeally fancy with a "flip key" conversion:

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
I wonder how long the newer Honda fobs are going to last? You know..they need to be PRIED open. o_O

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of my two keys has gotten loose, so I retired that one and use the other. I would order a new case for it (from wherever) and replace the case, keeping all the internal components.

View attachment 146613
That would be cool! I ordered a replacement plastic part from eBay - hopefully it fits/works.

Thanks, everyone!

Dustin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

View attachment 146613
Cool! I should have done that! I bought a replacement fob plastic on eBay. Maybe I should do this instead? I have an old key laying around....

Thanks, everyone.

Dustin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts