Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe this is a stupid question. But I wonder how it is possible.
Today, I saw a towing truck driver lifting my CR-V onto his reclining flatbed truck. I ran to the driver and asked why. He said the reason is parking violation. Anyway, my question is how is it possible for him to dragging my car onto the flatbed while the gear is in P mode? I don't think he even tried to open the door and shift the lever to N mode. I even tried to shift the lever to N mode without a key. But, I couldn't do it. So it is obvious that he was somehow able to lift my car while it is in P mode. How come is it ever possible? Doesn't this damage the transmission?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Those flatbed trucks have an incredible amount of force on that winch. Your wheels didn't spin I bet, they just dragged it onto the flatbed, same as you can lose traction on your car, the winch sort of lifts it and drags it up. They can't get inside your car and put it in "N" unless they broke into your car, and put a key in it and shifted. Be glad it was a flatbed, since a regular tow would've ruined your differentials. I hate the idea of towing - it's not really fair to drag your car away, then make you pay to get it back.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those flatbed trucks have an incredible amount of force on that winch. Your wheels didn't spin I bet, they just dragged it onto the flatbed, same as you can lose traction on your car, the winch sort of lifts it and drags it up. They can't get inside your car and put it in "N" unless they broke into your car, and put a key in it and shifted. Be glad it was a flatbed, since a regular tow would've ruined your differentials. I hate the idea of towing - it's not really fair to drag your car away, then make you pay to get it back.
Oh my God! I didn't know that at all. Thanks for your reply.
By the way, I hope it doesn't hurt the transmission, does it?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Not unless they didn't put it on a flatbed. The manual for the car says to call for a flatbed if you need a tow or another truck that can keep all 4 wheels off the ground. Your transmission shouldnt have suffered any damage from it, but if they dragged it hard enough, they can put a flat spot in your tires, or sometimes bend the frame of the car, since they latch to a tow hook or frame piece on the front of the car.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Not Sure, But Did You Check For Rollers On The Flat Bed

If they have rollers on the flat bed, it would be able to pull your car up with little harm to the transmission. If you had the parking brake engaged, it would drag the back wheels a bit until they hit the rollers as well but certainly no worse than a locked skid while moving. If they don't have rollers, then they just drag it up on there and the vehicle owner is responsible for any damage. (If not then they would have rollers!)

I did a quick search and found a video. No rollers.

http://www.goldenwesttoweq.com/video.html

My guess is that providing the guy was gentle with your car, one time won't hurt it. The metal bed probably offers little friction. But that is guess. It is stressing the parking pawl, which certainly can't be good. I wouldn't make it a habit of illegally parking.

I hope your V is OK.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
The car is still dragged on the pavement a little, they lower the ramp right down to the front wheels and usually just use brute force and drag it up the ramp - no rollers. Haven't seen one with rollers yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as I remember, the flatbed was as close as to the front wheel. But, as Serj22 said, there must have been a little bit of dragging on the pavement. I just hope everything was done in a proper manner. By the way, I wonder if it's possible that the dragging also damages the rear wheel. Mine is real-time 4WD.

Right now, the car seems to be just fine. But who knows. I'll check the tires tomorrow morning again.

By the way, I wonder if this thing ever happened to any of you guys. Any damage you noticed?

Thank you all for your replies.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
if he was able to get into your car, on top of your steering column is a little plastic cap, or cover so to speak, pop that off with a flat head screw driver, and push the screw driver down into the hole, shift lever unlocked. he could of used a slim jim to get in, but best bets are, he just hooked and dragged.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Now they are bilding towtrucks that are built off of a Dodge Ram 3500 (or 4500 don't remember) but they can steal a car in 12 sec or less even if the car is parallel parked, without having to get out of the truck!

There are cameras on the back of the truck and two big hydrolic arms. They lift up the car and turn it to be right behind the truck then the hydrolic arms hook around the front wheels and they drive off. But I think I read that this truck was for Repo Men more or less.

Here is a link so anyone can read it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/features_classic_cars/state_of_the_repo_art_the_jerr_dan_element_feature

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Wow. That is the invention of a true a**hole. :D But I can see the necessity. Now they don't have to carry guns and have death threats when they repo a car. Now if they only had the same technology to repo a house, just saw the bed out of the floor, and then drag the rest of the house away so you wake up in your driveway or something with no house.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts