Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a million problems with the 99 CRV owned by an offspring. The latest is inoperative electric door locks on the three non-driver doors. Found that the problem is broken wires in the flexible harness that connects the body to the drivers door (not the driver door harness itself). Very difficult to repair to say the least, and the only solution seems to be either a "ghetto repair" with external wires or replacement of that harness. I believe Honda calls it a sub-harness, but can't find the part number on any of the online diagrams. It has a 25-pin (5x5) connector on the door side. Not sure what the other end (somewhere around the driver's kick panel, probably) looks like.
Can anyone help?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the diagram. Certainly doesn't show any sub-harness. So will this be #1, the $1000 cabin harness (that they don't even have)? If so, it's time for the ghetto repair: get rid of the door connector altogether, splice all 25 wires directly, and stuff something in that hole to prevent water from leaking into the door. Quite a chore!
Incidentally, I had a similar problem with my Ford Explorer. Ford didn't bother to install a connector at all, and the wires had some reasonable slack, so it was an easy repair. But that silly Honda connector -- the wires broke right at the connection to it, and the connector has to be re-pinned if one wants to go that route. I saw a video of someone doing that, and he needed a whole bunch of tools and tons of patience. The thing is also covered with gobs of dielectric grease, apparently to prevent water from damaging the contacts. Obviously, this design was to make the door installation at the factory simpler, without any consideration for future repairs. Yikes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts