Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Honda CRV, does anyone know the flow of the transmission oil through the ATF Warmer. Does it come from the bottom of the transmission through the filter to the ATF warmer and back to the transmission? Or does it come from the transmission to the warmer then from the warmer to filter back to transmission? I know I could feel the hoses for heat, but the one under the air filter is almost impossible to get a hold of. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,071 Posts
I don't know the answer to you question, but have you tried an IR temperature "gun"?

Reactions: Caper43

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
If you want an absolute/definite positive answer to your fluid flow direction question..........

.........remove the 2 tranny fluid rubber hoses at the warmer, attach 2 longer rubber hoses to the 2 fluid nipples on the warmer and run the other ends of the rubber hoses into 2 separate empty milk jugs. Start/run the motor for 3-4 seconds and shut off. One jug will have some tranny fluid, one jug will be empty. Empty jug is the return line........the line you want to run your tranny cooler in.(y)

The return line at the warmer dumps cooled fluid into the tranny pan, to be circulated to the tranny/torque converter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I took my IR gun and checked the temp on the hoses and here are my results:

Hose coming out of back or transmission to the filter - 134F
Hose from filter to ATF Warmer - 130F
From ATF Warmer to front of Transmission - 104F

Also I did tow with it on the weekend and checked after the trip as I was curious on temps.

Hose coming out of back or transmission to the filter - 173F
Hose from filter to ATF Warmer - 173F
From ATF Warmer to front of Transmission - 134F

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
How far are you towing, how much towed weight, in what ambient temps?

Those numbers you post seem to indicate the so-called "warmer" is actually cooling the tranny fluid. Your tranny fluid temp numbers seem to mimic the numbers I've monitored in numerous vehicles over the years with traditional auto trannies. However, the Gen 5 CRV CVT tranny fluid temps will run well north of 200*F, not towing, from what I have observed/monitored.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Double post, sorry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only towing about 150kms each way, but need to travel over two mountains on the way. Trailer is dry weight 1500lbs, but with everything added it could be about 1700lbs.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
What ambient temps? How fast?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
So I took my IR gun and checked the temp on the hoses and here are my results:

Hose coming out of back or transmission to the filter - 134F
Hose from filter to ATF Warmer - 130F
From ATF Warmer to front of Transmission - 104F

Also I did tow with it on the weekend and checked after the trip as I was curious on temps.

Hose coming out of back or transmission to the filter - 173F
Hose from filter to ATF Warmer - 173F
From ATF Warmer to front of Transmission - 134F
Now that you know some approximate fluid temp numbers, are you still going to install an auxiliary tranny cooler?

I'm scratching my head as to how there can be a 30*F-40*F drop in fluid temp at the "warmer". I thought the "warmer" had +/-183*F engine coolant flowing thru it.:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's why I am here as I don't know. So is the flow going from the front of the transmission to the warmer and then from the warmer to filter and then back into transmission? I guess my question is should I have the trans cooler installed to save my transmission in the long run.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I don't know the flow direction on a '13 CRV.......go back to post #3, that will positively determine fluid flow. I've done it this way on a dozen or so different vehicles with traditional auto trannies. However, all of those trannies did have tranny fluid lines going to/from the engine radiator. For max cooling I have always installed the aftermarket cooler in the fluid return line. Wish I could do the same on the CVT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts