Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Hope someone can help. I've got a mk1 crv ( UK model ) with the 2 litre 16 valve petrol engine. Manual gearbox.
Recently I had to change the throttle body as on this model there are two water connections and one had rusted through and was leaking badly. I managed to track down an identical replacement from a scrapyard and fitted it. The engine runs fine. However the problem is the the tick over. When I start the engine initially all is ok. But after a while when I lift off the throttle the engine revs between about 800-1500 rpm as if someone is blipping the throttle. I did try swapping the sensors over from the old throttle body except for the throttle position sensor as this seems to be riveted in place on the replacement part ? It was bolted on the old one.
I've also tried disconnecting the battery overnight to reset the ecu but this hasn't helped. Does anyone have any ideas please ??

Thanks

Brett

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Look up on how to clean the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. You don't even have to disconnect the two coolant (small) hoses going to it. Pretty easy to do. A good cleaner like carb cleaner seems to work pretty good.
Check the switch on the power steering pump.
Recheck anything that you might have disconnected or moved when doing the throttle body replacement.
Have you tried the idle relearn procedure?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look up on how to clean the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. You don't even have to disconnect the two coolant (small) hoses going to it. Pretty easy to do. A good cleaner like carb cleaner seems to work pretty good.
Check the switch on the power steering pump.
Recheck anything that you might have disconnected or moved when doing the throttle body replacement.
Have you tried the idle relearn procedure?
Buffalo4
I'll have a try at cleaning the IAC. Didn't know there was anything on the power steering pump that could affect tick over ?
Is there something here on the forum for the idle relearn procedure ?
Thanks ☺

Brett

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Perhaps the ps switch problem is only on the Odys, I can't remember. (I believe its purpose is to increase the idle speed while it is pumping so that the engine doesn't slow down too much).
Basic idle relearn procedure. Disconnect neg battery cable for around a minute or pull the proper fuse for around a minute on a cold or lukewarm engine.
Make sure you know your radio code. :eek:
Then after resupplying the power, and making sure the interior dome light is off and all electrical items are off (including the radio, any lights, etc) turn the key to ON for a couple on seconds and then start the engine and hold the rpms to approx 3000 rpm until the radiator fan comes on.
Next, release the throttle and let it idle for 5 min. Turn off. It is done. ( it is said that if the radiator fans comes on during the idle part, add those sec to the 5 min)
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/19-maintenance-service/3766-idle-re-learn-procedure.html Post#6
The computer will also relearn on its own, eventually, but it is much quicker this way.
The IAC would be my first choice.
Before doing the idle relearn procedure, might not hurt to clean the air intake at throttle plate.
Buffalo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts