Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been awhile since fluid change discussions and since the search engine here is not the best let's rehash. So coming up on 3 yrs ownership. Dlr. never suggested to do diff change at 30k so I didn't. At 35k they said brake fluid change was in order so I did that. Yesterday at 44k they said "Oh you didn't do the rear diff at 30 k like you were supposed to" Told them no since you said no necessary that early. They did want to do a transmission fluid change. All this was in a nifty little brochure they handed me about routine maint. items for your Honda. I declined because I didn't think it was time according to the maint minder and schedule in the manual. Just goes to prove they are always trying to upsell you on services not needed at the time.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
276 Posts
IMO, you are on track and did the right thing regardlessof the dealer's push. I had one local dealer wanting to to do injector cleaninat 4k miles on my CRV. It is just part of some dealer's play book. BTW, I don't go to that dealer anymore. LOL

Beside, the supposedly Honda's MM notifications, I think esp changing the AWD diff fluid is very important on the CRV. It is not like the diffs of old with just moving metal parts with an EP fluid/magnet. It has cluch packs (I assume solenoids too) making it more like a single speed trasmission then the traditonal diff in design. And a magnet. :)

THE CVT transmission shorter fluid change intervals is also something I would respect also. The owner's manual actually suggest in mountainous drivng to change more often too. Being in CO, something I take into considetionin my maintenace.

Bottom line: cheap insurance/maintenace relative to the cost of the vechicle and hopelfuly its many long miles. And use the OEM Honda fuids- not the place for one to try to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
As an engineer, I'm pretty comfortable giving Honda's engineers their head when it comes to maintenance recs. That is, I follow the MM (I also read the manuals of cars). There are people who think they know better than Honda and Toyota engineers and recommend different fluid change intervals, extra intervals, different fluid specs, etc. etc. Most of these people strike me as well meaning but a little...nutty. The kind of people who say 'I know just enough to be dangerous'.

The dealers I don't listen to at all because they sell the cars at a loss and make it all up in servicing. They also have zero engineering background.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
to be fair, I knew I was getting close to an oil change and I didn't even look at the codes (normally I do). I had already changed out the air and cabin filters so I didn't think their could really be anything else. I called from the car and she said bring it in next day so I did.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Brand new car? Break in fluid. New fluid, that to me is the Bottom line.

·
Registered
236 Posts
As an engineer, I'm pretty comfortable giving Honda's engineers their head when it comes to maintenance recs. That is, I follow the MM (I also read the manuals of cars). There are people who think they know better than Honda and Toyota engineers and recommend different fluid change intervals, extra intervals, different fluid specs, etc. etc. Most of these people strike me as well meaning but a little...nutty. The kind of people who say 'I know just enough to be dangerous'.

The dealers I don't listen to at all because they sell the cars at a loss and make it all up in servicing. They also have zero engineering background.
The problem with the MM is it doesn't know what conditions you operate your vehicle in. I know the MM gives codes (ie. A 1 2, B 1, etc. when it gets to the 15% oil life) but how does it know where or how you operate it? It doesn't. I replace my engine oil and filter at the interval because that is monitored by the computer based on engine rpms, etc. so if you drive stop & go city only vs. mostly open highway/freeway driving, you're going to find a vast difference in mileage, etc. when the MM light comes on. I replace my air filters based on how dirty they get, so the MM may show a code to replace them but if I already did them, I won't do it again. Most dealers won't actually inspect your filters as they recommended the cabin & engine air filters at an oil change but they had been replaced less than 6 months prior.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The problem with the MM is it doesn't know what conditions you operate your vehicle in. I know the MM gives codes (ie. A 1 2, B 1, etc. when it gets to the 15% oil life) but how does it know where or how you operate it?
Measurements and averages. There's also a hefty amount of margin built in for special people. As you say, it'll trigger much shorter intervals for an uber driver than someone who only does x-country highway jaunts. If you're operating the vehicle well outside of its usual parameters (maybe you use your compact SUV to off-road exclusively - weird, but ok) then maybe the MM in insufficient. But for the vast majority of the million owners of the Gen 5...it's going to be fine.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
As you drive and that Puddle you just went through, that the rear diff has a escape hole..... yep contaiminated fluid, dring thousands of miles not knowing till the Maintenance Minder pops on says hey change me, where you simply ignore good people..... wish you the best in that.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
FYI, if you replace something early, you can go in and tell the MM you did, so it resets the clock for that item. I DIY all my maintenance, and Honda's owner website has a nifty little utility where you can stash your maintenance records.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
One of our cars is a 10K reminder, I always changed at 5K, and 10K so that I at given times will not reset a MM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.