Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had a local mechanic (who worked for several years at a Honda dealer) said that my power steering fluid and brake fluid
need to be totally replaced because they were both dirty.

He also said that the only fluids that should be used are genuine Honda fluids.

What is the difference in Honda fluids and all the others?

Bottom line --what power steering fluid and brake fluid should I be using for my CRV?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I would find another mechanic. Honda does not “make” fluids.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,716 Posts
Actually, Honda power steering fluids have special friction characteristics. You should use either Honda Genuine or a PS fluid marked "for Honda". (There are a few providers) Honda fluid is not excessively expensive.

I replaced our PS steering fluid once, at ~ 120K miles. I simply removed it out of the reservoir with a turkey baster, refilled with fresh stuff, then repeated this until I had installed 2, 12oz. bottles.

++++++++++++

A few years ago, both Honda & Toyota had issues with brake master cylinder seals failing, supposedly because the OEM-spec fluids 'preserved' the seals. I've never used Honda BF (I'm a Castrol LMA-DOT4 fan) and have not experiences any issues. But again, Honda OEM fluid should only add a couple bux to the cost of a brake fluid flush (which recommended every 3 years regardless of miles).

If your shop likes to use Honda genuine parts & fluids, you are ahead of the game IMO.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
.......but after the dealership has doubled the price of a bottle of brake fluid or power steering fluid and then the mechanic shop doubles the price again, it might be 3 bux (or way more) for fluids not made by Honda......just a plastic bottle with a Honda label.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
57 Posts
i use Honda ATF and rear Diff oil on my 17,,any quality motor oil is good..believe the 17 PS is electric so dont have to deal with that,, brake fluid is generic too..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts