Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a '16 Civic. When she tunes to an FM station, her display shows text info such as station name, title of the song playing, and the artist. I believe it is called RDS, Radio Data System. I figured if her '16 Civic has it, then my '16 CR-V EX-L must have it. But it doesn't seem to. I've been messing with the menus and settings, and the closest thing I can find is a menu option that will allow you to find an RDS station. Per the owners manual:

To find an RDS station from Station List:
1. Press the Menu button while listening to an FM station.
2. Select Station List
3. Select the station.

What I'm trying to do is set the system up so that any RDS station will automatically display the data, like it does in my wife's Civic. I'm not trying to find an RDS station from a menu list.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I know that the radios can be a bit different, depending on what model you buy and options you choose - can you take a pic of your headunit?
Mine displays the station along the with artist and song title, but I have the touring with navigation, so yours might be a bit different.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here is a pic of my display. Notice in the upper right corner that is says "Text", but there is none. The station I am tuned to here is definitely a station that is capable of displaying text, because it does in my wife's Civic. So I can't figure out how to display song title, artist, etc. Maybe it doesn't in the EX-L, but does in the Touring (and Civic). Who knows.

FM.JPG

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I also have a 16 EX-L and I can't get it to work either. I thought I was doing something wrong (maybe I am) or the radio stations weren't capable.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don't really listen to FM and hadn't tried it since buying my car. I just went out and tried it. Some stations gave artist/song info and others didn't. Some gave album cover art and some didn't. It seems to be driven by the stations, not the radio. The one that didn't give the info did say text in the upper right, so I don't think that really means anything.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,190 Posts
With time on my hands I checked out the display on my 16trg. Pretty clear that some stations broadcast the data necessary for the display and others don't. No AM stations used the display. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1476019253.713552.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1476019263.196006.jpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't really listen to FM and hadn't tried it since buying my car. I just went out and tried it. Some stations gave artist/song info and others didn't. Some gave album cover art and some didn't. It seems to be driven by the stations, not the radio. The one that didn't give the info did say text in the upper right, so I don't think that really means anything.
Do you have a Touring? I tried it on a station that displays the info on the display in my wife's Civic. It doesn't display in my EX-L.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I can verify the pics that Slybarman posted.. My touring does exactly the same thing. Certain stations WILL show the artist and song title, while others won't.
I do find it very very odd that the EX-L doesn't do this however...

Just another bizarre quirk of the Honda head-unit??? Seems like this *should* be something that can be changed in the settings.
The only explanation I can think of off the top of my head is whether they somehow linked this function to the ability to receive HD radio stations???
(I have no idea why they would do such a thing since in my old WRX Kenwood headunit, I could also see the text info, and that unit definitely cannot receive HD audio)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a 2016 Touring and mine doesn't show any Cover Art (Album Art). But my spouse's Lexus shows it. I tune to the same station and get nothing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts