Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I actually had a scare with this last month. FOB battery died, but key would not unlock drivers door (apparently something is not right inside the door). Fortunately was at a WalMart and ran back inside to buy a battery.

·
Registered
205 Posts
if your battery is dead in the fob, just hold it as close as you can to the push start button. the car should still sense it and start. Read that in the manual but the guy in the finance office explained that to me as i was signing the paperwork on my 15 EX.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
431 Posts
3rd exam question. How do you open the tailgate when fob is dead?

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
431 Posts
Part 2 of this exam question. What if the battery in the crv is dead. Fob is fine. How do you open the tailgate? Example: kids left the lights on over the weekend. Now car battery is dead. Your booster cable is underneath the trunk cover by the spare. And the tailgate won't open.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The key slot does not always help, like in my case. It’s gotten me a bit worried. All our CR-V over here were modified by the dealers to prevent Lithuanian car thieves (we have a real infestation of them) from stealing every single one. The key slot was disconnected from the actual lock mechanism leaving just the fob to operate the locks. I was just preparing for winter last week, greasing locks in all my cars when I remembered it.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,185 Posts
The key slot does not always help, like in my case. It’s gotten me a bit worried. All our CR-V over here were modified by the dealers to prevent Lithuanian car thieves (we have a real infestation of them) from stealing every single one. The key slot was disconnected from the actual lock mechanism leaving just the fob to operate the locks. I was just preparing for winter last week, greasing locks in all my cars when I remembered it.
Well in that case the only solution may be to keep an extra battery in your wallet I suppose.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Yeah, I'm more worried about the main battery going flat.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
431 Posts
I'm thinking i should leave the booster cable out in the trunk instead of underneath the cover.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
Yeah, I'm more worried about the main battery going flat.
Which is why I never keep my vehicles locked in our garage.. which honestly is where most of my "failure to start" events have happened.

Then again.. I also run a full maintenance check and trickle charge top up on my vehicle batteries every month or two as well. This has enabled me to see a failing battery early in it's failure slide.... rather then getting surprised by it one morning in winter season (even though our winters are very mild here).

If parked out somewhere while out for the day... that is why I have HondaCare.... because if the vehicle ever fails to start .... even well after the factory warranty is expired... I know I can get it towed to the nearest Honda dealer and they can deal with why it won't start, and perhaps might not unlock either.

For the keyfob battery... I believe that when the battery is low, the fob will tell the vehicle and the vehicle will give the driver an alert message.. so you can change it before it actually stops working. But since you can unlock the drivers door manually, and start the car even with a dead fob.. I don't see a big issue even if the vehicle does not alert the driver of a low fob battery.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.