Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I need help, I scoured the internet but can't find any vids on replacing the fog bulb for a 2010 CRV. I tried getting in through the wheel well but its impossible as there's a metal plate blocking the path. Under the front skirt seems impossible unless I remove the entire bumper. which I think is the next step.

However, this seems complicated for just a bulb replacement?!

·
Registered
2009 CR-V EX
91 Posts
I just replaced both my fog light bulbs with large led bulbs, with built in fans on the back. For the passenger's side, I got my hand in through the wheel well, past the washer bottle and got it done. The driver's side, I had to drop the front skirt and even then, barely got my hand in there to remove and replace that bulb; almost have to be like a contortionist. If your hands are not thick like tree trunks and you can twist and bend to reach stuff, you can do it; I'm 5'11" 195 so by no means am I a small guy. Only other option I know of is to drop the front bumper and that is too time consuming and unnecessary, imho.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

I wonder if the 2010 is different from 2009, because the front face is slightly different.

On the side view from passenger, the wiper fluid completely blocks the path from the side.

From the top you can see no other ways, at least for my fat arms:

Also the connector is so thick, you have to disconnect it BEFORE you can turn the bulb enough to actually take the bulb out of the housing. So you need to get your whole wrist around the connector.

I don't see how this could be possible but my arms are maybe below avg in length?

If I have to drop the skirt and the sides isn't that just removing the bumper, except maybe missing the top plastic connectors?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The driver is crazy hard too,

Looking down from the top, you can see there's a plastic box and metal plate completely blocking the path behind the wheel well.

and dropping the skirt I think I would still scrape my hands/arms trying to get the fog light in/out.

Doesn't make sense its designed so badly since bulbs are something they expect customers to do every few years. In this case my bulbs were 10 yrs old.

·
Registered
2009 CR-V EX
91 Posts
It looks like you have hid bulbs and ballasts installed on there now. That's why they look so thick and hard to remove. Dropping the entire bumper requires removing a few more screws and snap in clips (which tend to break easily when removed) than just those top clips. There is also a screw holding the bumper side onto the fender.
I was able to get my hand twisted enough, through the wheel well, past the washer bottle, to remove and replace the fog bulb on the Passenger's side. It was a chore but I did get it done. The driver's side....I couldn't go that route because of that metal bracket and intake housing in the way. I was able to twist and bend my arm enough, with lots of scrapes though.......lol, going through the partially dropped bottom skirt, (mostly just clips and a screw on the driver's side wheel well area and front only) to replace that side bulb. Took me less than an hour, start to finish, all bulbs, clips and screws back on.
As you mentioned, the 2010 bumper face is slightly different that the 2009 so maybe dropping the bumper skin is the best way to go, for you.
Google or youtube has 20100 fog light install instructions, which provide detailed bumper removal and reinstall.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oddly enough, it was the factory/dealership bulbs/connector that was tough to remove. The HID bulbs I swapped in right before this pic, and are their replacements since the original bulbs are 10 yrs old. I actually got lucky that they fit, since unlike the regular bulbs the bulb to ballast portion isn't disconnectable so if they had been as thick as the factory connectors I wouldn't have been able to insert the bulb at the required angle to twist it properly.

I assumed you had removed the screw holding the bumper to the side fender to get your hand in past the skirt to the fog light. That's really impressive, I didn't think that was possible. Was the car on a jack or you were able to crawl underneath it with regular clearance? Hopefully others read this thread and can at least initially try to just do what you did and get in from the bottom by just removing the 4 plastic clips connecting the bottom skirt to the fender/bumper. The 2012 CRV manual mentions this, but I thought it must be a different design since mine looked too tight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts