Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new CRV owner here. I had a VW Passat previously, and it's key was a foldable "switchblade" key, and I loved it (didn't poke myou leg in my pocket. Is there one I can get cut and programed to work with my CRV?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to have an '05 Element that I was able to modify a foldable TL key to work with. Here's the link on a 'how to': http://www.junipermonkeys.com/blog/element-oem-flip-key-modification

You'll have to have Honda cut the key for you, but you shouldn't need them to program it (there are a handful of how to program your Honda XXX key FOB videos). You'll just have to figure out what key FOB 'talks' to the CR-V (or figure out if you can swap the innards from your key).

Anyway, hope it helps get you started -- most of the how to's refer to it as the switchblade key mod.

Post some updates if you figure out how to get it working.

·
Registered
47 Posts
depending where you are you can order it online and have the blank cut. A locksmith can do that for you. I had it done in queens NYC for 150 ImageUploadedByAG Free1457400560.786026.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was renting a VW Passat back in January (because a tree crushed my car port and vehicles). I loved the folding key. Especially how you push the button and it pops out like a switchblade.
Poor little Passat though. I was going through an intersection on a green and someone ran a red and took the front end off and spun the car around. It was ugly and I'm still recovering from the injuries.

I saw just the folding fobs on Amazon, but from what I understand, you'd have to get an OEM key programmed and take the innards out (including some special security strip) to put inside the fob and then have the key part cut.

I want to get one for my Ridgeline and the CR-V. I think the 2013s use the same shaped buttons and such.

It's a little over $14 on Amazon. Fit For Refit HONDA 2007-2013 HONDA Odyssey LX Ridgeline Accord Civic Pilot CR-V Fit 3 Button Replacement Uncut Flip Fob Remote Key Case Fob Shell

You would have to look at your own key to see if it has the right number of buttons and placement though.

Does anyone know if they sell the fobs with the internal stuff already in them so they can be programmed and cut all in one go?

A friend from Autozone said the keys for 2013s and newer have some sort of special security thing that makes it so you have to get a dealer to program them. Anyone know more about that?

·
Registered
203 Posts
From what I hear from Civic owners is that the transponder inside the keyfob is a certain distance. With those switchblades, the distance of the transponder is too far and it won't work. You can unlock/lock the vehicle but it won't start due to the distance. In order to fix that, you have to do a lot of work

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/diy-honda-civic-electrical/243129-diy-flip-key-lots-pictures.html

Would love to know if anyone tries and gets a switchblade to work successfully without paying up the ying yang

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've tried these flip keys for my CR-V last year and bought two that were shipped from China. I must say the sets I received and cut did not even fit resulting in a refund from the seller off eBay. I might get it a try again, this post did spark some interest again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
From what I hear from Civic owners is that the transponder inside the keyfob is a certain distance. With those switchblades, the distance of the transponder is too far and it won't work. You can unlock/lock the vehicle but it won't start due to the distance. In order to fix that, you have to do a lot of work

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/diy-honda-civic-electrical/243129-diy-flip-key-lots-pictures.html

Would love to know if anyone tries and gets a switchblade to work successfully without paying up the ying yang
Mine works with no issues... Paid 150 total to get it done including programming (4 keys). In order to make all your keys continue working all of them must be re-programmed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts