Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought that came across my mind. For people who are favoring the hybrid or planning to buy a hybrid and can wait, why would you settle for such a setup when a true alternative solution is rapidly becoming mainstream, EV? Why not wait around a bit longer and get an extended range EV when rapid charging infrastructure is set up around the country? I understand the MPG and stuff but you are still anchored to the same internal combustion engine? Also not to mention the fact that the engine might not be used at all for some of you for an extended period of time, which might not be good for the engine in regard to old oil and stale ethanol gas. In the past when the only true EV solution was the one from GM, I could see hybrid was the better alternative but not today when Tesla/Volkwagen/Ford etc. are getting into the game big time.

Oh and also do you hybrid CRV have the same oil-gas issue like us non-hybrid?

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
The Hybrid CR-V has not been released for sale in the US or Canada, yet. I believe it has recently been announced for release in Europe, but I am not sure if any have been sold yet. So it seems to be too early to know about any oil dilution issues on the Hybrids....however there are Hybrid Civics and Accords in the US and Canada......

Although I am often an early adopter to new technology, I am not sure EVs are ready for the mainstream yet. The speed of filling up a gas tank versus the time it takes to charge up a battery for long distance driving....well, in my mind, EVs and the charging technology, and infrastructure still have a ways to go. Also, it seems from a cursory search, that each EV takes a different type of connection... Any gas engine or Hybrid vehicle can fill up any gas station. I'm not saying it won't be the case at some point, just not there yet. IMHO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The CR-V will not get a full electric version until many many years later.

Good example is look at Acura, it took multiple years for a hybrid MDX to be released (which my friend owns) before that they had the hybrid RL out for so many years.

Best guess at seeing how Honda works is that they'll release the hybrids on their flagships first (ie. Pilot and Odyssey before a CRV variant releases), also prices in oil will determine how fast they roll them out etc. Remember the 2008 recession a lot of people bought huge trucks and SUVs but couldn't afford the gas or car payments and car sales overall fell. This also helped contribute the rise of the Prius and other hybrids.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Hybrid CR-V has not been released for sale in the US or Canada, yet. I believe it has recently been announced for release in Europe, but I am not sure if any have been sold yet. So it seems to be too early to know about any oil dilution issues on the Hybrids....however there are Hybrid Civics and Accords in the US and Canada......

Although I am often an early adopter to new technology, I am not sure EVs are ready for the mainstream yet. The speed of filling up a gas tank versus the time it takes to charge up a battery for long distance driving....well, in my mind, EVs and the charging technology, and infrastructure still have a ways to go. Also, it seems from a cursory search, that each EV takes a different type of connection... Any gas engine or Hybrid vehicle can fill up any gas station. I'm not saying it won't be the case at some point, just not there yet. IMHO.
Right, I didn't mean today, right now but things are happening rapidly and in the near future, most if not all of these problems will be solved. If it takes me 15 minutes to recharge the battery to full, that's acceptable b/c after a long 4 hours drive, doing a pit stop would take you that long anyway.

·
Premium Member
CRV-Hybrid EX (actually, my ex is a Prius)
96 Posts
Two years after this thread was started, the situation hasn't changed much. Not seeing an appealing, affordable EV. I'm beginning to think we may see a cold fusion reactor or a Mars colony sooner.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
88 Posts
You can get a used 5th gen for ~$25k and it gets 40 mpg at 70 mph... at that price it doesn't make financial sense to go electric.

·
Premium Member
CRV-Hybrid EX (actually, my ex is a Prius)
96 Posts
Oh and also do you hybrid CRV have the same oil-gas issue like us non-hybrid?
I haven't heard/read of it, and I hope I won't. My calculation is that since the 2.0L LFA-1 that goes into the CRV and Accord hybrids is naturally aspirated (I believe) Atkinson cycle it should be less prone to the gas-to-oil leaks than the unnaturally exasperated 1.5T.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts