Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Forum Newb - 02' CR-V "PROJECT TLC": Part1) Intro/Sound-deadening & audio...

So after beating up on my ride all throughout college I've finally decided to give it some long-overdue TLC in the form of extensive maintenance as well as some nice comfy mods I've been wanting to do for like, I dunno....4 years now?

Since I've gotten my career started (and most importantly, gotten school over with) I have a little bit of extra time to take care of my trusty CR-V and since I now have the luxury of being able to take my time on things a bit more I thought I'd document the process in sections as my V goes through it's transformation.

At the time of this entry, I have already taken care of the first and most important process: maintenance. I have replaced the shocks, brakes, strut/shock-mount bushings, air filter, had a full oil/transmission fluid flush while adding redline lightweight shock-proof trans fluid and greddy synthetic oil (yeah, yeah, I know its a little bit overkill but hey, it was there so I bought it).

At this point, I am about halfway through the first phase of my CR-V's modding: sound-deadening and audio:

(By the way, I'm totally new to this whole forum thing so if you have any suggestions or constructive criticism it's more than welcome and most definitely appreciated.)

...soooo, here we go!

PART I - SOUND-DEADENING/AUDIO:

First, I want to say that while I LOVE music and can appreciate powerful sound systems as much as the next guy my main intention is not to have a system that will blow peoples doors off or win any competitions.

While I currently have a Pioneer Avic D3 navi/DVD unit and have had several nice decks in the past, I have never ran amps or had a full system. My main focus is actually on the sound-deadening process and having a nice, quiet, smooth ride rather than having a loud system.

As you will see later on, I kinda end up splurging a bit with the audio but first we'll go through the current task at hand: sound deadening!

Step One: Gutting the Interior

IMG_1496.jpg

Everything came out SUPER easy for the most part and I had it all cleaned and ready for the Raamat in no time.

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

Next step: Installing mat...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Step two: Raamat

Step two: Raamat

For the sound deadening process I ended up using RaamAudio BXT II for vibration reduction and Ensolite for the actual noise-reduction. As you will see, I kinda went overboard again and decided to get about 85% coverage from the floor all the way up the firewall but am waiting on getting some paintless dent removal before I move onto the doors and will probably include them in the audio section as I foresee the doors being a bit more involved of a process.

IMG_1501.jpg

For the most part, the application process has been pretty straight forward with the exception of the the firewall area (pictured below). The mat I used is very sticky and application high up on the firewall proved to be a major time-consuming pain in the ass.

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

If you look close you'll notice the rear-view camera wires lined up there alongside the speaker wire temporarily until I get everything all routed/sorted out.

Even though I've been taking my time, I imagine the mat application process would be pretty tedious even if you rushed through it. It's kinda satisfying when you hear the difference even from just the floor, can't wait to get the doors done and really hear the difference!

I'm at the beginning of an 11-day work tear here so my next post might not be for a little while but I'd really like to hear what you guys think. Next post, I should hopefully have the rest of the deadening done and hopefully some of the audio and I'll also showcase some of the audio goodies I have waiting for my V. Until then, I thought I'd post a picture of the preliminary spare tire well set-up I'm working on for my amps:

IMG_1490.jpg

...in the mean time, let me know what you think! :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Love it! Definitely looking forward to the transformation. Wish I had the nerve but will just have to enjoy the show as you post. Using the spare tire well is an excellent idea for the amps as it doesn't take away from being able to use the space behind the rear seats. :cool:

·
Registered
185 Posts
bold move, I love it. How do you like the light weight shock proof? I have the regular red line in my spec V and it made a difference. When it is cold it feels worse than before but after it warms up it feels better. So I guess you are losing your spare tire?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Woah! that's one gutted V you've got there! It would be very interesting if you happened to take SPL reading before and you do it again after. I'd imagine that there would be a marked improvement.
I KNOW, I was actually thinking about that the other day and was kicking myself for not doing some sort of baseline sound-measurement for a before and after comparison.

I will say though, with the exception of the doors (haven't covered yet but are usually always the biggest noise leak in any car) the biggest improvement in noise-reduction thus far has come from extensively covering the rear wheel wells.

BIG, IMMEDIATELY-NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE in noise level once those noisy bad-boys got covered up and something I would totally recommend to any Gen 2 V enthusiast who's looking to reduce road noise but isn't quite ready for getting themselves in over their heads on a sound-deadening project like me haha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bold move, I love it. How do you like the light weight shock proof? I have the regular red line in my spec V and it made a difference. When it is cold it feels worse than before but after it warms up it feels better. So I guess you are losing your spare tire?
I went with the Redline ltwt shock-proof tranny fluid because I was experiencing some sporadic locking up and trouble going into gear as of recent. I am happy to say (with fingers crossed) that after a tranny flush/fluid change I have yet to experience any of the previous issues.

Oh yeah, my CR-V's a Gen 2 so luckily my spare is still mounted on the rear gate so I'm good. ; )

·
Registered
29 Posts
echo_rob, Great thread and I'm dying for an update, particularly with regards to road noise and the sound-deadening aspect. Have you got the doors done yet and everything back together? If so, were you able to eliminate a substantial amount of road noise and create a very quiet, "luxury-like" cabin with the two RaamAudio products you used? Please keep us updated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts