Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2021 EX-L, 1.5T
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been posted before, probably has, but I just found this yesterday. I know that Honda has slightly improved the AWD thru the years. This shows the difference between a 2013 and 2019 CR-V. But what most interested me is that this also tests with the Traction Control turned on and off (look in the lower left hand corner of the video). I know, I know, probably does not matter to most and maybe their technique was off, but I found this video interesting just the same.

Scroll down to the first video

Take care all, Acadia

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,634 Posts
That is both a great explanation of all the different AWD systems offered by Honda and Acrua, as well as an outstanding video showing how the gen5 CRV AWD is different than prior generation CRV AWD. (y)

We have a number of members here that refuse to check into and understand how the gen5 CRV AWD is different than their perceptions ... particularly their insistent denial of how the gen5 actually applies active traction on all 4 wheels most of the time ... even on dry improved road surfaces. The video does a good job of showing the functional differences.. so I am relinking the actual video here.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I have not owned a Gen2 CR-V but I have had the 1st Gen HR-V (identical AWD to the Gen1 CR-V, fully hydro-mechanical). This was awesome. Usable offroad and ice-snow, possible to force into action to poweslide through bends in snow, lot's of fun. Gen3 was sort of okay but the stability control and automatic braking in AWD action was slowing the underpowered car down and allowed you get stuck somewhere a RWD car would have performed fine. The Gen4 AWD is useless, I have no idea what it's doing but I know it's not helping. Like you see in the video above.

·
Banned
252 Posts
Toyota has a commercial on TV that I've seen recently that shows a comparison between the AWD in a new Rav4 and a new CRV. It shows the CRV struggling to get up a snowy hill, while the Rav4 just walks right up it with no problem.

I have found the new CRV's AWD system to be really good and was surprised to see this commercial where Toyota makes it look so bad compared to theirs. I don't know if it was because of better tires on the Toyota, or if it had something to do with the traction control kicking in and causing the Honda to have problems or what the deal was.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? I just tried to find the commercial on youtube and google, but I couldn't find it. Hmmmmm?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I came across a review of the AWD of the new Rav4 and they surmised that with all the settings and dual motor and stuff, it is just marginally better or equal than the CRV's awd system. (the old rav4 awd system was a joke...) in short, all those "technology" are just more stuff to break and no measurable advantage (marketing hype).

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Consumer reports comparison of Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, and Subaru Forrester in snow.

Can a small, all-wheel drive SUV handle the worst of what winter can dish out? CR evaluates three top-selling crossovers to see which one drives the best in snow and slush.
The Subaru came out on top.

About 3:08 talking about cornering in the snow. "...the CR-V inspired less confidence than the Forrester. The Toyota was by far the least able in snow corners..."

·
Registered
2021 EX-L, 1.5T
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Consumer reports comparison of Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, and Subaru Forrester in snow.

About 3:08 talking about cornering in the snow. "...the CR-V inspired less confidence than the Forrester. The Toyota was by far the least able in snow corners..."

Actually I agree completely, Sub is better with AWD. But my original post was about the advancement (albeit so little) within Honda. Buy the way (let's go off topic again) how does Consumer Reports compare the Forester with the CR-V in cargo space, my most important need (I am not even going to mention acceleration and CR's reliability record between the two).

·
Banned
252 Posts
Actually I agree completely, Sub is better with AWD. But my original post was about the advancement (albeit so little) within Honda. Buy the way (let's go off topic again) how does Consumer Reports compare the Forester with the CR-V in cargo space, my most important need (I am not even going to mention acceleration and CR's reliability record between the two).
To be fair, the CR video that Racoon posted is from 2015. The gen5 CRV's AWD seems to be much improved from the gen4's system.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts

#2 2020 Subaru Forester ($24,495 - $34,595) score: 84
cargo space rating 3 of 5, cargo space 35.42 ft³, 76.1 ft³ with rear seat down
#3 2020 Honda CR-V ($25,050 - $34,750) score: 77
cargo space rating 3 of 5, cargo space 39.2 ft³, 75.8 ft³ with rear seat down
#7 2020 Toyota RAV4 ($25,950 - $36,880) score: 72
cargo space rating 2 of 5, cargo space 37.6 ft³, 69.8 ft³ with rear seat down

·
Registered
506 Posts

To be fair, this comparison should have been done with all three vehicles clad with the same model of premium snow tires and soliciting comments from drivers who have driven the vehicles clad with oem all season tires really only indicates the limitations of all seasons tires.
The 2020 CRV handles fine in the snow with good tires in my experience. Of course much does depend on the qualifications and experience of the operator.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
If they did the comparisons with whatever tires the manufacturer had installed, then equipping them all with premium snow tires wouldn't have changed the results much.
Yes, they'd all perform better in the snow with better tires, but I suspect the rankings/ratings would still have put the Subaru first, CR-V second, and RAV4 third.

·
Registered
2021 EX-L, 1.5T
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

#2 2020 Subaru Forester ($24,495 - $34,595) score: 84
cargo space rating 3 of 5, cargo space 35.42 ft³, 76.1 ft³ with rear seat down
#3 2020 Honda CR-V ($25,050 - $34,750) score: 77
cargo space rating 3 of 5, cargo space 39.2 ft³, 75.8 ft³ with rear seat down
#7 2020 Toyota RAV4 ($25,950 - $36,880) score: 72
cargo space rating 2 of 5, cargo space 37.6 ft³, 69.8 ft³ with rear seat down
Racoon, I tried to send you a PM but I could not find how to do that on this Forum. I want to apologize for my rather curt response to you in the AWD thread that I started. That is usually not my style (I believe it was that second glass of wine). Anyway, take care. Acadia

·
Registered
359 Posts
In all my years of driving I’ve never encountered a set of rollers on the road.

I’ve also driven all of these vehicles in snow. They do feel different, but everyone of them got me to where I was going uneventfully.

And tires make a huge difference, each of them went from being just okay in the snow with regular tires, to feeling unstoppable after putting winter tires on them.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
When you start adding in X-mode on the Subaru and Hill Descent Control, not to mention the better overall AWD system, it performs much much better than the CRV.

Even the gf acknowledges this now and asks me to drive her places instead of taking her CRV. The Forester is a joy in snow. Very controllable.

·
Super Moderator
7,634 Posts
In all my years of driving I’ve never encountered a set of rollers on the road.
It was a controlled test setup.

The purpose.. if you actually pay attention during the entire video is to demonstrate how well each generation CRV responds to different traction challenges.

Hence.. the reason that they used different roller setups throughout the video ... to put each wheel under a different traction challenges and show the results.

What it demonstrates is that the gen5 AWD is in most cases superior to the gen4 AWD when different wheels are presented with different traction challenges. How much does it matter in real world driving?..... hard to say for certain, but it certainly demonstrates that the gen5s respond more dynamically when presented with different traction challenges on each wheel.

It would have been nice if they had done this for each generation CRV.. because as many of us are multiple generation CRV owners.. it would give us real insight as to differences and improvements over time in the CRVs. Many forum members assume AWD is AWD in CRVs and that it has never really changed in design.. which is an incorrect assumption.

·
Super Moderator
7,634 Posts
When you start adding in X-mode on the Subaru and Hill Descent Control, not to mention the better overall AWD system, it performs much much better than the CRV.

Even the gf acknowledges this now and asks me to drive her places instead of taking her CRV. The Forester is a joy in snow. Very controllable.
There is no question that Subaru's are superior in AWD compared to their competitors. Their symetrical AWD system is more nuanced in how it controls each wheel.. allowing each one to operate essentially independently of the others. It is one of the brands strongest selling points. As I recall, it is also full time AWD in the Subaru.

If you are going to be on rough and unimproved roads, or in snow and ice with a compact CUV... you would pick a Subaru first.

For most other road conditions, most drivers probably won't notice much difference between brands. That said.. most drivers will notice that each handles a bit differently, and that could boil down to preference and confidence.

Audi is probably the only brand with a superior system.. but I doubt it is worth the extra cost much less the maintenance expenses.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Like I said,to repeat myself, many would find this test defective but I still found it interesting: I need more education to make my next vehicle purchase decision.
Defective test? Not.
It can, and does happen. Happened to me in my own driveway in my first winter with my 2017. Really ticked me off to be stuck with my new AWD Honda not powering the rear wheels right in my driveway. Check out my VERY unhappy post about it. Fortunately I haven’t been in the right situation for it to happen again, since then Believe me, it’s pretty crappy when it happens to you. I’ll find my old better detailed post of it, if you’d like.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Gen 5's AWD is fine in my experience but Subaru's system is the best out there. I did want to get a Subraru but the wife said if I did she'd shave her head, get a bunch of tattoos, and make me listen to KD Lang nonstop. So I backed down.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts