Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello HondaDa,

Just wanted to let you know that my « CR-V » came back from
the delearship this morning.
It passed the « frame recall » with flying Colors.
I went to Honda St-Jean Iberville (Quebec)... wanted to avoid the city traffic.
It is 20 minutes drive south of here... no traffic going there .
all ok !

Best regards

Michel Frenette

2008 , EX-L without navi
actually 136, 000 km
Great to hear the news !

So sorry , for replying late - just returned from our vacation and have not been checking up the forums.

All the best to you !!
( and the CR-V )

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just did mine at London Honda, doesn't see where they spray the compound, the invoice said wax and some euroseal parts. Is that it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2010 and live in Ontario. Has anyone here been offered a buyback? I’m going to bring it in and see what they say. There is more info on moneysense.ca (I’m unable to post a link, sorry). Here is a clip:

Honda dealers were instructed to test the rear chassis stiffener of recalled vehicles. If they are able to perforate the metal using a testing tool (it’s a special mallet with a spike attached) then the vehicle “fails” and the first remedy offered is a buyback. I believe the buyback is a non-negotiable value plus a 15% markup for any inconvenience. Generally, a repurchase offer based on a standard formula benefits the owners of vehicles in rough condition and is less advantageous to owners of vehicles in good condition, or with low mileage.

Honda’s recall does allow for the repair of vehicles that owners would prefer to keep. However, this appears to be a tertiary remedy to be suggested after either rustproofing has been applied or a customer turned down the buyback offer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This has been a nightmare for me. I’m in Ottawa 2009 CRV with 195,000km. It’s been a month and I’m still fighting Hunt Club Ottawa. They gave me a loaner car the first day and now 27 days later they called the police and said I stole their car. They were supposed to get me a rental but none were available. They said it didn’t pass the test (no pictures that they promised) and I had to take the buyout which I refused. I told them to fix my car. The only leverage I had was their loaner. Police were at my door. I wasn’t home. Police called me yesterday, they will arrest me if I don’t bring back their loaner car tomorrow September 10th. They did give me a buyout of $8000 but my car is paid & I cannot afford any payments right now and I want it fixed!!! Not even an option as all they want is their loaner car. I’ve got a journal of everything said and mailed. I have left messages for news media. Their lawyers have big pockets compared to mine but I’m not letting this go.
I feel bullied by a mediator at Honda Canada, intimidated by the police and completely threatened by Honda.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my car in for the recall inspection. Its a 2008 with 199,000 clicks. It failed. I was offered $9191.00 what happens if I never go back? I was not aware of the option to ask Honda to fix the problem? Any help on my rights as an owner would be nice. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Take the money and run. I had a hell of a fight on my hands trying to get them to fix it. Bottom line, THEY WILL NOT FIX IT. Mine was in perfect condition 2009 with the same km as yours and I got $8000. I’ll never buy a Honda again.
Good luck. It’s a nightmare.
They made me sign a gag order before receiving my check.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Anyone have a picture or diagram of the part that gets tested with a hammer & punch?
This is where the rear trailing arm attaches to the frame rail. It is held on by two bolts.

It's hard to tell from these photos exactly where it is, but...

The trailing arm is the large arm extending from the rear hub toward the front, and is held in place by two large bolts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If anyone in the US encounters this issue with their vehicle I would encourage you to:
1 - call Honda Customer Service (800) 999-1009 and get a case number assigned to it
2 - file a complaint on the NHTSA web site

As of now Honda (US) is not doing anything, but perhaps if they hear enough they will.

As of now, there are 10 complaints of this in the NHTSA database within the last year, 8 failures occurring while the vehicle was on the road. All in states that encounter inclement weather and utilize road salt.

There is an inconsistency as the vehilces subject to Transport Canada Recall # 2019025 were primarily made in East Liberty, OH US (VIN starts with a 5) and Sayama, Saitama, Japan (VIN starts with a J), the same production lines the vehicles sold in the US came off of. Honda did not start producing CRVs in Canada until the 2012 model year. Consistent with a statement earlier in this thread, all the reported failures I have found pertain to the 2007-2009 model years.

Honda Canada's statement regarding the recall: "excessive corrosion to the rear frame may result in frame stiffener perforation and, in extreme cases, cause the rear-trailing arm to separate from the vehicle's frame structure. A separated rear-trailing arm may cause the vehicle to be difficult to control, increasing the risk of a crash."

41 - 51 of 51 Posts