Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, technically not free fuel but here's a thought. You drive wherever, get there, brake to a stop and A.) put the car in park and then turn off the engine or B.) turn off the engine and then put the car in park. B turns the car off 1.5 seconds sooner. Big deal. Times 1,000 times per year you turn off the car is 1,500 seconds per year which is 25 minutes additional run time. Obviously people have widely varying numbers of trips per year but it's still a savings every time.

·
Registered
895 Posts
When you replace your starter from all of the extra starts, that will eat all of your fuel savings.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, no, no extra starts, just regular trips. To work and home from work, 10 per week. To grocery shop and home 2 per week. To the bank, the post office, dinner, movies etc. etc. probably adds up to at least 1,000 times a year. So my observation is we can save around a half hour of idling fuel if we turn off first and then shift to park rather than the other way around.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I see. I misread it the first time.

You would save a very tiny amount of fuel. But I guess saving is saving. No matter how small.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, it's a small amount for certain but for most people it would probably be about the same amount as sitting idling for a half hour. I have no clue how much that would be but maybe someone will tell us.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My 2012 CR-V at idling consumes from .2 up to .25 gallon of gas per hour. In your case the saving is about .125 (one eighth) of the gallon per year.
Is that saving on gas really worth extra wear and tear of the starter, ignition switch and transmission?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no extra wear. You drive home. You have two choices. Park/off OR off/park. No extra starting until the next morning when you start to go to work. I can't explain it any other way but for everyone following there are no extra start/stop and no extra wear and tear. It's just what order do you do things and save a little fuel doing so or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts