Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. As the title suggests i have been looking for ways to improve my fuel economy on the crv. I was getting around 30mpg before all the kids went back to school.....now its 24 as im sat in traffic for most of my trip. I have everything off, windows up, correct tyre pressures and drive it like a granny.

Now i remember seeing a while ago about hondata doing a air box mod on the k series engine cars, what they suggest is to basically remove the wall in between the lower section of the air box and remove the fins after the tube on the left side of the box. I went a stage further and completly gutted the lower section of the box only leaving the fins that hold the filter in place. It took about a hour and a half with a dremmel and a pair of side cutters. It is now completly smooth alowing for a better air flow around the filter. Now on the hondata dyno runs it gives 3-4 bhp on a k20a and has been proven to be a better mod than getting a open filter which will only draw in hot air. Im not massivly bothered about hp but was curious to see about a mpg increase.....well i have only done about 8 miles and its now up to 25 mpg in traffic. Im sure if you were doing 30mph roads and motorway you would see a greater increase. Anyway try it out....it guaranteed works!!!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Try increasing your tire pressures 3-4 psi and see what happens.

If you don't think it'll help, try pushing your car with the pressures set now, then increase the pressure and push it again.
Rolling resistance is everything at lower speeds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts