Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 CR V that I bought last July and in all respects it exceeded my expectations. That is until the prairies winter set in and the temperature dropped. It was purchased with a remote start for the very purpose of warming up the vehicle, but after 20 minutes the temp guage doesn’t move one iota. Even after driving 8 km, it only reached ½ way to normal operating. Took it to the dealership to fix what I assumed was a faulty thermostat but was informed that this condition is normal for newer Hondas. I took my complaint to Honda Corporate and was told that there is nothing there to fix.
Did Honda forget that winters on the prairies reach -40?
I was told that it is necessary to drive it for warm up. So does anybody want to buy my remote start? What does a young family do with young ones that need to be strapped in? Drive around for ½ an hour and then get them?
Not only did Honda miss the mark on cabin comfort in the winter, but also didn’t consider that an engine not at normal operating has not reached peak performance. After 8 in km, I was still at only way to normal temperature.
The representative at Honda Corp didn’t feel that I had a concern worth addressing. I disagree. Join me in letting Honda know that they are letting down their loyal customers and find a fix. Post your story on facebook or follow my post. Joe Zador

·
Registered
229 Posts
Re Freezing to death

I live in sub temps like you and I find like any other car I've had if you have the heater blasting on a cold start it will not warm up sitting there idling or driving around town .
What I do is leave the heat off but on windshield with heat to cold fan at 3 , window cracked use the seat heaters till the temp gauge reaches full temp.
Then set my temp to where I want.
If you crank the heat all the way at -40 its going to suck all the heat out of the aluminum engine. I find all these modern cars are the same that have aluminum heads and blocks. The aluminum does not hold onto the heat like the old cast iron blocks.
This is the nature of the beast, not a Honda fault.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,886 Posts
I merged these threads and moved them to the DEAR HONDA section, as the OP's intent was to tell Honda.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Add the block heater to the engine - it will be warm as long as you plug it in.

Dealer installed option.

·
Registered
461 Posts
We cover the radiator with cardboard when driving in Alaska. Works fine and no issues with interior heat, comfort or engine overheating, monitor engine and coolant temp and remove cover as needed.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Sounds normal to me. You have to realize not only is the coolant cold, but the air surrounding the engine is also cold and also cooling the coolant. I can see where it takes time to warm up. I have driven mine 5 miles down the road and the needle will still read at the bottom of the temperature gauge. And I also recall driving 15 miles home one night where the temp was around 0 and the heater seemed to not get as warm as usual in that distance, due to the cold air.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
It's kind of weird that you wouldn't have a block heater when you live in such a cold climate.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Search out the thread titled something like "2012 heater doesn't work worth a damn" or something similar ! Turns out there's a TSB on some 2012, 13 & 14 V's where the blocks were not cleaned out properly after the sand casting and the remaining sand/silt ends up in the heater core where it settles and blocks the flow of hot anti-freeze !! The solution is evidently a thorough flushing using a pump kit provided by Honda and then new a-f installed. Mine is going in shortly for this procedure. Craig

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in the NE and bought a new 2015 CRV. The heater is the worst I've ever had in a vehicle. Honda told me I have to go into my tablet each time I use the heater and shut off the condenser to the AC because the vehicle is programmed that way. WTF? It's my first and last Honda.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I live in the NE and bought a new 2015 CRV. The heater is the worst I've ever had in a vehicle. Honda told me I have to go into my tablet each time I use the heater and shut off the condenser to the AC because the vehicle is programmed that way. WTF? It's my first and last Honda.
Just pull the fuse for the AC condenser - that will keep it off until you put the fuse back. Makes it harder to defog the windshield without the AC to help. But cars in the 50's 60's and 70's did fine without the AC to help.

·
Registered
197 Posts
What is "go into my tablet"? All I know is that the a/c will switch on if trying to defog, at least until you push the a/c button off. Is there something I've missed?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just pull the fuse for the AC condenser - that will keep it off until you put the fuse back. Makes it harder to defog the windshield without the AC to help. But cars in the 50's 60's and 70's did fine without the AC to help.
But then you AC compressor isn't getting any lubrication all winter long! That is not good for the compressor.

But wiill be watching thread with interest cause I have a new to me 2014 CRV and live near Buffalo NY. I have to say that my Ody is quite similiar on frigid days.

·
Registered
261 Posts
reading this stops me moaning about british weather lol.
Here other day it was around -2 C.

I noticed that the car in idle didnt really warm up even after 20 mins but soon as I drive it normally, it warms up very fast.
I find this odd, car is 100% checked, all working solid, maybe the cooling fan comes on too quick?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Freezing to Death

Winter is in Northern Ontario in full force. -20 to -30C below zero. My 2017 Honda CRV 1.5 litre does not warm up! It blows cold air at stop signs. The windows are fogging and it is very difficult to thaw them. Brought my car into my Timmins dealership and was advised that all 1.5 Honda CRVs are having a hard time producing heat when it is very cold. I have had many similar smaller engine vehicles before this Honda and never had a problem with heat. This is my first Honda CRV and I'm really disappointed. When I checked other online sites, I see that everyone is having the same problem.Surely a large company like Honda could do something about this. Is the 2018 the same?
I am wondering if a different thermostat with a higher heat would be available and solve this problem.
Hoping there is a solution to this problem....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ditto - 100% - on your experiences and sentiments, here in Ottawa with a 2017 CRV Touring. Why the hell even bother providing a remote start capability if there are to be zero effects from deploying it?!? What galls me particularly is that the retarded heating at idle thrusts one into the ultimate "Catch 22" situation. It is illegal to drive without clear driver visibility, but you need to be driving to produce the necessary heat to clear the windshield and front side windows! Duh! Furthermore, when finally up to some semblance of full defrost heat, it is still INSUFFICIENT to melt/clear ongoing snow accumulations at the top 4"-6" of wiper sweeps - especially while driving. (Hold your hand at the windshield/roofline - cold.) I find myself constantly having to waste wiper fluid to keep my line-of-sight clear. This is all a matter of chasing absurd mileage claims and not of arming drivers with tools to cope with adverse, real-life conditions. I have owned Hondas, exclusively, since 1982 (and I do love my Touring for many other reasons), but it may be my last! I look forward to the J.D. Power survey; the words "the ****s" and "totally useless" WILL be figuring prominently in my response. Wake up Honda; build a car in Canada for Canadian realities!
Oh yeah, is there a Honda mechanic out there who will tell us - off the record, 'course - whether a different user-installed thermostat is the answer?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I live in sub temps like you and I find like any other car I've had if you have the heater blasting on a cold start it will not warm up sitting there idling or driving around town .
What I do is leave the heat off but on windshield with heat to cold fan at 3 , window cracked use the seat heaters till the temp gauge reaches full temp.
Then set my temp to where I want.

If you crank the heat all the way at -40 its going to suck all the heat out of the aluminum engine. I find all these modern cars are the same that have aluminum heads and blocks. The aluminum does not hold onto the heat like the old cast iron blocks.
This is the nature of the beast, not a Honda fault.
Sorry Jaari, I do not fully understand that sentence in bold. Can you explain again?

Also, do you have an electric blockheater, and can use it (have access to electric power)?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts