Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about trading my 4 month old 2020 Outback XT (turbo). Mpg for me has been well below estimates @ 20-21. i expected low end but not hovering just above 20 no matter how careful I drive it. All the bells and whistles are glitchy and annoying to control - give me physical knobs and buttons for hvac.

Anyway, had a few hours with the CRVH today and... nice car. I liked it. I ran my daily loop 2x and came away with 36 mpg electronically on the cluster without trying to baby it. Im sure manually calculated will be lower but still very impressive.

The lack of a spare tire has me hesitant.

Salesdude told me the electronic mpg calc holds pretty true in his experience (roll eyes). True?

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
125 Posts
You can read through this thread and judge for yourself. I’m very happy with mine, but mpg was not a consideration. I just prefer the way it performs and drives vs the non-hybrid models. In my experience most flat tires occur in my driveway, so lack of spare doesn’t really bother me. I may put RFTs on it when it’s time just for increased comfort level on long road trips, especially when my wife is on her own.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,723 Posts
As noted, please participate in that existing thread to gauge real-user experiences and of course, ask questions :)

Reactions: iconic

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,671 Posts
Thread moved to Shopping & Test Driving and re-opened for further comparisons, and comments.

·
Registered
861 Posts
As someone who owns both I feel I can give some insight here. Had the CRV for over 4 yrs now and still enjoying it. For combined driving I routinely get 30-31mpg. On the road have gotten as much as 34 mpg. Car will get up when I need it to w/ not too much discernible tubo lag. We just replaced a 2013 Rav4 w/ a 2021 Outback Touring XT for my wife. She didn't want another Honda and she has never been as enamoured w/ the V as I have. Drove lots of different cars and the Subaru was one of the last we tried. Seats are the most comfortable of any car we have ever owned and that's important to us at this stage of our lives. The car ticked probably 93% of the boxes for us and that's doing pretty good these days.

Now to address your points. Yes the gas milage sucks compared to many other cars. Esp. for the turbo.The Santa Fe and Tuscon we looked at had the same mpg ratings but w/ smaller hp output. But unlike Honda Subaru at least offer two engine choices. We only have 2300 mi. in 4 mos of ownership. I waited until 1500 mi to check my milage manually. We are getting 23-24 for combined driving. Taking our first real road trip in 2 wks so hopefully will improve. But's let's be honest here. Most OB owners don't buy the Turbo option for the gas milage. They want something that will get them up the mountain or out of the mud or rocks. They want hauling capacity. For me, I just wanted to be able to pass someone w/o the car telling me "no I don't want to do that". The Turbo is much smoother and better pairs w/ the CVT tranny. And yes it will kick the CRV's butt off the line. If you want better milage baby it or just trade it.

Yes I wish it had more knobs for controls. The new 11.2" screen is not that great to navigate through. There should be more hard buttons for climate control and more options on the main screen. Agreed there is a learing curve for the infotainment system but it gets better. We are using more automatic and voice commands now and don't have to wade through as many screens. The CRV has a nice mix of both type controls. HOWEVER, the OB system is not nearly as wonky as the CRV. There is no shutting off randomly or not bringing up the correct screen or the brightness screen getting stuck when sunlight hits it.

Bottom line is they are similar yet two very different cars. You'll take a big hit on a trade at this point but maybe it's worth it to you if you are really unhappy w/ everything else besides the mpg. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As someone who owns both I feel I can give some insight here.
Great perspectives and info. Thanks very much for taking the time to write that, much appreciated. I'm assuming you have the NA CRV?

My wife's car is a 19 Mazda CX-5 w the 2.5 turbo which has similar mpg to our Outback. That's one reason the lower mpg on the Outback bugs me so much and has me considering the CRV hybrid. I traded an 06 Outback that got ~21mpg on my 20 Outback thinking the 20 would do ~4 better. So far, I'm very wrong.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,671 Posts
Great perspectives and info. Thanks very much for taking the time to write that, much appreciated. I'm assuming you have the NA CRV?
@jdcrv shows a 2017 CR-V EX-L in his signature, that would have the 1.5 Turbo engine.

Reactions: iconic

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
As someone who owns both I feel I can give some insight here.
Great insights. I'm shopping for eventual replacements for our CR-Vs and will not be buying Honda anymore (way too many problems with the cars they build today, especially the CR-V--this isn't the same Honda I began buying in 1988), so this is helpful. I have a feeling our more comfort-oriented SUV is going to be one of the Subarus (Forester or Outback), and we're also looking at what Kia and Hyundai are offering since their quality has gone way up. For me, it's most likely a 4Runner since it has a true 4-wheel-drive drivetrain with high and low gearing (which I'm finding I need when I go on the unpaved roads).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts