Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holders of the Corporate Knowledge,

So this is my last ditch effort to fix our regular brake problems in our 06 AWD. Since we bought it new, we've had brake rotor warping issues. After multiple dealers would only swap rotors I ended up trying to figure it out myself. After about 10K miles, the braking becomes jerky / inconsistent that is felt through the steering wheel and progresses to the point the whole vehicle shakes. It gets worse quickly if driving through the mountains (long downhills - heavy on the braking). So I take the rotors off and get them turned down, put them back on and we're back to smooth braking again - for a while. We did this for a couple of years until i finally rebuilt the entire front braking system (new rotors, calipers, pads) thinking this might fix the problem. ~10K miles later it's starting to show up again. I would really like to keep our CRV, but I'm just getting tired of this problem. Ideas? Anybody else experience this?

-Brian

·
Registered
127 Posts
Holders of the Corporate Knowledge,

So this is my last ditch effort to fix our regular brake problems in our 06 AWD. Since we bought it new, we've had brake rotor warping issues. After multiple dealers would only swap rotors I ended up trying to figure it out myself. After about 10K miles, the braking becomes jerky / inconsistent that is felt through the steering wheel and progresses to the point the whole vehicle shakes. It gets worse quickly if driving through the mountains (long downhills - heavy on the braking). So I take the rotors off and get them turned down, put them back on and we're back to smooth braking again - for a while. We did this for a couple of years until i finally rebuilt the entire front braking system (new rotors, calipers, pads) thinking this might fix the problem. ~10K miles later it's starting to show up again. I would really like to keep our CRV, but I'm just getting tired of this problem. Ideas? Anybody else experience this?

-Brian
When you replace your rotor did you clean up the mating surface of the brake rotor on the wheel hub? There’s a good chance the brake rotor doesn’t have a nice flat surface to sit on and cause of the steering wheel shake when you apply the brake.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,655 Posts
There's an old saying that doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. That may be an extreme overstatement, but I will use it to segue into something different. Though I first have to say I've never heard of any Honda owner having this ongoing problem, not once. Which makes me say (on the inside) WTF? Is there something really odd going on here? Something strange about your particular V? I don't know. Has it ever been wrecked?

Anyway, another solution to consider might be this: Try a set of Brake Performance rotors. They ain't cheap, but they are US made and have a lifetime warranty against warping or cracking. Add a set of high end Akebono pads. Also, replace the brake hoses at the wheels. Make sure they are properly installed. See what happens. If it doesn't work, there must be some kind of voodoo going on.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,550 Posts
You are fixating on rotors, but in fact, the issue may be with your pads. What are you using?

Just to establish a baseline, I'd go back to OEM pads (which are ceramic on Gen2s) with new or turned rotors. These are not more expensive than quality name-brand aftermarkets like Akebono (which is often my second choice).

Be aware that pad redeposits (not warped rotors) can cause the 'shakes' that you are experiencing. A bit of Behavior Modification might help with that:
At the end of any long hard stop (EG the mountains that you mention), be sure to stop a car length or two away from the car ahead or the intersection. Slowly creep along if you can, until you can continue on your way.

This practice prevents redeposits from building up on one spot of the rotors, especially as the pads wear...thin pads do not dissipate heat as well as thick, new pads.

Just as a reference, I get ~ 75K out of front pads on our '06...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Yeap your fixating on rotors and those aren't even the issue. Warped rotors is an outcome. Rotors warp due to excessive heat and uneven pressure. Some warp to a rotor will be absorbed by the calipers ability to move.

Calipers need to be gone through. Slides, hardware and such all cleaned and lubed. Change brake pads. Expect to have to replace calipers. Also make sure wheels are being tightened and torqued evenly.

Also make sure all suspension parts are tight, not worn out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts