Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front driver side tire on my 04 CRV AWD (250,000 miles) is worn on the outside half around half of the tire. Tires were replaced about 30K ago. I haven't seen anything wear this way before and not sure where to start checking. The other half of the circumference of the tire has normal wear pattern. I've got a torn boot on one of the CV joints, but no sign of failure yet. Other than vibration when driving at 65 to 70, there are no odd noises or other indications. The only thing I can think of is the CV joint being shot and causing the balance to go off. Looking for other things to check and kit before tearing into it.

I'm also going to replace the top links in the rear due the excessive camber problem. It's a bit bothersome to me to replace these with something adjustable without knowing what is causing the change. I'm sure the top bushings are wearing some, but is there another suspension component that is failing as well?

If anyone has done suspension repairs on an older CRV, I'd like to hear what you found and replaced.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
This is likely an issue with toe-in. It could be an adjustment issue but is more likely a worn or bent steering/front suspension component, such as a tie rod end or bad ball joint, etc. Id take it to a reputabler guy who can put on an alignment machine (and up on a rack) to check everything. It could also be a combination of several such issues. So, the car has never been damaged in an accident?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,199 Posts
Based on your description, you have a bad tire (shifted belt) on that wheel. It is no longer 'round' which is why you get vibrations (even if it is balanced). <---BTW, Road Force Balancing would have alleviated the vibrations IF the belt didn't shift further. If the issue had been caught earlier, you might have saved some money, as with AWD Vs you REALLY need to replace 4 tires at once.

+++++++++

Regards your other questions

Springs can sag a bit, and as you mentioned bushings can fail. Both these conditions can induce excessive negative camber on IRS vehicles. So, (pending an evaluation) an adjustable camber kit might be the best solution. Depends on if an alignment shop can get the rear back into spec. (Our last alignment of our '06 at 170K miles, we couldn't get the rear in spec, saving the camber kit for the next new set of tires)

Experience on the Forum has indicated that aftermarket CV Axles don't last. Rebuilt OEM axles are more expensi8ve but less troublesome.

On the front, inspect the forward bushings on the lower control arms. These often crack/split.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We bought it new and it’s never been in an accident. The last alignment was a couple of years ago but nothing was off even though we were getting some cupping. I’ve seen excess toe cause wear on the outer half of the tread usually with some feathering of the tread blocks. I haven’t noticed that.

At this point I’m thinking adjustable top links in the rear and tear down and inspect front expecting new control arms and possibly cv shafts along with shocks/struts all around followed with a new set of tires.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,199 Posts
I'd do the 4 tires first, I bet that cures the vibration.

Then, if you get an alignment at that time, indicate that you want it in-spec, and will agree to the installation of the adjustable links in the rear IF NEEDED.

The other stuff is just ammunition for the Parts Cannon. 😁

1 - 7 of 7 Posts