Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Add me to to the sway bar end link club...

I finally got around to swapping them & now I'm finally rid of the clunking noise in the front suspension. I also did the (cha-ching) trans and rear-diff flushes at the same time; the trans oil (ATF Z1) was $6 a quart at Coggin Honda here in Jacksonville, FL. the Dual Pump II was $8... :(

Old link: (passenger side)

New link: (driver's side)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a knocking sound from under my seat and without looking at it everyone said it was the exhaust. So anyway I eventually I had the bushes changed on the anti roll bar which made the steering so much more accurate.:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but....

Once you replace the sway bar end links, do you need to have the car realigned? I'm about to do mine too and trying to figure out if I need to run it over for an alignment after.

·
Registered
4 Posts
any instructions on replacing these? honda told me it would be 384 plus tax and i think i could do it myself. any help would be great. i know it's an old post so hopefully i get a reply. i have a 2001 ex that needs these end links replaced.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,187 Posts
Sway Bar end links do not affect suspension alignment.

The hardest thing about the job (naturally) is dealing with the rust. Wirebrush the nuts and bolt threads first, then soak with your favorite penetrating fluid for a few days (I prefer Armor-All). You STILL may have to cut the old ones off.

The joints try to turn when you loosen the nuts. The Allen keyed hole can't deal with the resistance. I use narrow-jawed vice grips to hold the back-side as a first attempt, but I have to use a cut-off wheel on occasion.

The Honda links last about 100K miles, that's about twice as long as the end-links on some Chrysler autos.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i just want to make sure it is as cut and dry as it looks. so i will need an allen wrench and just a regular adjustable wrench or a socket wrench it seems. should i take the tires off or just jack it up in the air and remove after washing them off?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,187 Posts
i just want to make sure it is as cut and dry as it looks. so i will need an allen wrench and just a regular adjustable wrench or a socket wrench it seems. should i take the tires off or just jack it up in the air and remove after washing them off?
I'd try it with the wheels on first...safer. Use ramps if you have them.

Don't use an adjustable wrench...use the proper sized box wrench or socket. 6 point is better than 12 point for loosening rusty stuff.

I found that a ratcheting box wrench AKA GearWrench was quite handy for reassembly. Lets you hold the allen and easily tighten the nut without slipping.

I just did the sway bar links on our Dodge Caravan. Same basic operation. Took me about an hour (half of which was spent getting the car up in the air safely).

·
Registered
4 Posts
ha i just realized how stupid it was to ask about the wheels staying on or taking them off! i forgot it wasn't suspension related. i'll go buy a set of ramps and change them out. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Front end clunking noise

I am a new Honda CRV owner and I really like the car. Mine also has a clunking noise when I go over bumps in the road. I hope this is not a stupid question but how do I know if it is the sway bar end link? I know I can replace them myself if they are bad but how do I know if it is bad? I would hate to replace them only to find out it was not them. Thanks for everyones help.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,187 Posts
There have been enough posts on various forums over the years so that we could reasonably be certain your sway bar end links are making the clunking noises.

Replace the fronts first...if you still hear the clunking at parking lot speeds, replace the rears.

Unfortunately it is really difficult to tell which specific link is the "clunker". One good thing about this repair is that aftermarket parts seem to work well.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My clunk wasn't what I thought

I was so excited when I found this thread because I thought I had finally found what was making that annoying noise for the past year.

My father-in-law and I put the CR-V up on ramps to take a look. After a bit of work we took off the end link on the passenger side because that was definitely where the clunk was coming from.

We thought it would be a good idea to drive down the road to see if the noise was different or gone all together. It was still there. On the ride back to the drive way he kept listening to the noise and it really seemed to be coming from up higher than down by the wheel.

When we got back home I popped the hood and we looked around, grabbing most anything to see if it was lose. It turns out there was a loose bolt under the hood near the windshield. I can't describe it too well but after two quick turns we took off down the road and the clunk was gone!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a clunking sound on my '00 CR-V, 115K miles, at slow speeds. I noticed my struts were soft as I was going over bumps, so I replaced them.

The clunk is still there.

I'll take a peek at sway bar links...

But, what is this bolt under the hood that would cause a clunking sound? Where?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for this post.

I just looked at this thread, I also have been having a problem that sounds just like this. It seems to be on the right front side. THANKS.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just looked at this thread, I also have been having a problem that sounds just like this. It seems to be on the right front side. THANKS.:)
Did you find that it was the bolt mentioned in my previous post? I'm just curious if my problem was the same as others.

·
Registered
1 Posts
clunking noise

looking into getting 00 crv as first car from dealership
heard the clunking noise and was afraid it was suspension problems
should i get them to replace the sway bar end links or bring it home and do it myself or get a family friend to do them?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,187 Posts
looking into getting 00 crv as first car from dealership
heard the clunking noise and was afraid it was suspension problems
should i get them to replace the sway bar end links or bring it home and do it myself or get a family friend to do them?
Since you are buying from a car dealer (not necessarily a Honda dealer), insist that the clunking be eliminated as a condition of sale. Don't tell them you suspect what it is...let them diagnose and repair it. It could be one thing or several things....

As an alternative, get a quote from a Honda dealer to replace end links F&R, sway bar bushes, and rear control arm bushes. That would be pricey, but if they drop the sale price by that amount, you would have some $$ to play with....

Be firm, and be willing to walk away. :p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts