Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I just recently acquired my first 1st gen Honda CR-V and excited about having it for a long time. While driving I noticed some front end noise when going over bumps at any speed. Sounds kind of like a thump, which leads me to believe it has something to do with the front suspension. There is no rattling or vibrations while driving on smooth surfaces. I'm not very mechanic savvy so I was wondering if anyone knows a good personal mechanic or good shop in the Omaha area that is good with working with CR-V's. If worst comes to worst I could always take it to the dealer and have them work on it. Just seeing what your guys/girls opinions were. Thanks for the help and advice.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
It is probably the front sway bar links. A little noise from them won't hurt other than being annoying. That being said, it could be something worse like ball joints or tie rod ends which will cause major issues when they break. (Think wheel falling off.)

The sway bar links are small pipes that connect the lower control arm to the sway bar. They are hard to check because there isn't much room to grab them and try shaking them.

Try shaking the top of the wheel. If you can see the top ball joint right above the wheel wobbling then the upper control arm needs replaced.

Try turning the wheel left/right or grabbing the tie rod behind the wheel. That is the small arm that attaches on the rear side of the back of the wheel for steering. If that is loose you need tie rods.

The bottom ball joints are harder to check because the front springs keep constant pressure on them and you can't really notice looseness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Shryp. I checked today and I think it may be the sway bar links. Looks like the upper and lower ball joint have been recently replaced. I base this off of the new condition of the rubber housing. The tie rods look like the have been replaced recently. Nothing really moved when i tried to grab on and give them a tug. The links looked like the original so I'm leaning more towards that being the issue. I'll get them replaced first and hope that fixes the problem. Thanks for the help again.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I ordered a set off ebay for like $14 and they can be changed somewhat easily if you want to attempt it yourself. I used a $15 angle grinder from Harbor Freight to cut the old one off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts