Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem.

Whenever we drive our 2017 CR-V EX on a gravel road, there is a noticeable rattle in the front end. We heard this on our way home from the dealership last fall, and it;s gotten a bit worse. We took it back to the dealership and they found nothing. We took it back, and took a service advisor with us on a drive on a very smooth gravel road, and the noise was heard. The advisor also heard it and said it wasn't normal. But when they put it on the hoist, the found nothing. A month later, we took it back, the service advisor said he could even feel it through the floorboard. The dealership contacted Honda for advice and Honda told them to drive another 2017 CR-V n gravel and see if it sounded the same. Our dealer called us yesterday asking that we bring our CR-V today because they had another 2017 in stock and they were doing the comparison.

So....the final word from the dealership is...this is normal and isn't a problem. They said to call back if it got worse. Grrrr. It HAS gotten worse since we bought it.

I get that gravel roads aren't an issue for many folks, or even most folks. But in our rural area, they're a fact of life. And it pisses me off that either: 10 the CR-V is crap on gravel and should ONLY be driven on pavement (if so, why have 8+ inches of ground clearance and AWD) or 2)both Honda and the dealer simply cannot be bothered by what they consider a minor problem.

And a key point for us....we'd planned on driving our CR-V to Alaska and back late this summer. Not sure I want to do that with a rattling vehicle.

· Premium Member
6,077 Posts
I understand the frustration. I only say this again check that lower engine pan remove and replicate the same drive see if that Sucker is flexing. I said that in a few threads here. you never know????

· Registered
2,049 Posts
Even a 15 year old car sounds pretty smooth on good pavement, it's when you go on bumpy roads that they rattle you to death!
I have driven my CR-V on gravel roads a few times and I have no front end noise. Tell them you want it fixed, they have radical ways of eliminating these problems, sometimes they pull down the whole front end and change out all the rubbers etc and tighten everything back up. My 2014 RAV4 had an annoying rattle in the front and I insisted they fix it and they eventually did by pulling down the whole of the front suspension and replacing all the suspect parts and fitting everything back up tight.

Rob

· Registered
2,170 Posts
I'd ask to accompany the tech on this test drive of another CR-V.

Methinks that the tech simply is sick of looking for the problem (effort for which he is unlikely to be getting paid, because he can't bill for a problem he can't find) and would prefer you go away.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'm gonna try the camera method. I have a GoPro with a clamp mount and it sounds like a decent idea to get that mounted underneath and go up and down our gravel driveway a few times. I can change the mounting location a few times and see if I can isolate the source.

I'm pretty damn irked at the dealership. And it's about 60 miles to the next closest Honda dealership.

· Premium Member
6,077 Posts
I think I'm gonna try the camera method. I have a GoPro with a clamp mount and it sounds like a decent idea to get that mounted underneath and go up and down our gravel driveway a few times. I can change the mounting location a few times and see if I can isolate the source.

I'm pretty damn irked at the dealership. And it's about 60 miles to the next closest Honda dealership.
Leash it. I used a external mic I also use wi-fi the next time and get all the angles possible. Here isa video of a rattle I was trying to find I clamped to something back then lol...

One other thing I say look at the brake shields never know.

· Registered
892 Posts
You did good fishy. You had solid attachment for both camera and mic. Mics are tricky as they likely lose sound direction info but a few different locations might help pinpoint it.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have this problem also when driving on corrugated roads and dealer says they have tightened everything up. Still there. I thought maybe the suspension but now I am not so sure. Did you ever solve your problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
1 Posts
I have 2018 CR-V EX and I heard that some noise at the lower area on front passenger side. I thought it's coming from suspension or balljoint.
So I went to the dealership and complaint. They tighten everything but noise still same when it's going Ina dip or gravel roads.
So again I went to the dealership and the technician checked everything.
Finally they found a plastic hose which is a drain hose coming from the moonroof goes down through the side bar beside the windshield.
At the bottom it's loose from the metal lock and when the vehicle driving over a dip the plastic hose touch the metal lock and making some rattle noise. Now it's hooked up and no more noise again
That's may happen to you may be check as per my experience...:unsure::):):)

· Registered
114 Posts
I mentioned this earlier today in another thread on dash rattling, and I’ll mention it here as well. The dealer this morning fixed my annoying rattle by removing the caps covering the shock mount (two circular plastic dome covers). It’s been quiet ever since.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.