Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2002 Hond CRV and I'm in New Zealand. It has 94,000km and I'm the original owner and the car is in pretty good shape.

Last month I noticed something leaking in the garage and took a look under and I could the front right shock absorber appeared to be leaking. I had to have the left shock replaced about 18 months ago with a similar problem. I took it to my local mechanic that I have used for a few years and they seem to be pretty good.

They replaced the shock and about a day later I started getting a funny squeak noise coming from the front right wheel area. It is a much lower-pitch than brake pad noises. I would call it a mid-to-low frequency squeak. It's almost a groan. It would happen just before coming to a stop at a stop light. It would also happen soon as I start moving again from a stop. It only lasts about a second. As time went on I could also notice it making a fainter sound when driving on smooth roads that have minor undulations at a speed of about 50km/hour.

I took it back three times and the mechanics thought it was something they called a 'bump stop' or something like that. They'd adjust it and maybe it would be a little better for a day or two before reverting back to the same sound. Finally they took it apart and they took the shock off and the guy said with the shock on the bench if he pressed the shock in and then as he released it he could get it to produce a sound that he thought was similar to what it sounds like when it was mounted and driving.

They decided it must be a faulty shock and they got another one, installed it and test drove it and they couldn't replicate it.

I took it home and it was good for about 3-4 days and then I thought I noticed a tiny bit of the same noise. Over the course of the last few weeks it has gotten worse and it almost as bad as it was with the previous replacement shock.

Everyone seems completely stumped. The only theory is that maybe it is a whole bad batch of shocks and both shocks were faulty, but I'm not entirely sure at this point.

It has never made this sound before and it wasn't until the shock was replaced that this became evident.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas? Is it just bad luck and two faulty shocks in a row?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will also add this this squeak / groan is enough that I can feel it creating a vibration at my feet. I can actually feel the vibration when it makes the noise in the gas pedal (I don't think it's actually related to the gas pedal, I just think there is enough of a groan / vibration that it is transferring through the chassis enough that I can feel it while my foot is on the gas pedal).

·
Everything in Moderation
7,734 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts